Slow DCC fitted Hornby 56

owentherail

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest a decoder reset as the first thing to do.  That should set the max speed (CV 5) to the highest for that brand of decoder.  Most decoders have CV5=255 but some (eg Bachmann) only support up to 64.

What make of decoder is it?

I would suggest a decoder reset as the first thing to do.  That should set the max speed (CV 5) to the highest for that brand of decoder.  Most decoders have CV5=255 but some (eg Bachmann) only support up to 64.

What make of decoder is it?

DCC fitted so I'm guessing Hornby would use there own in it, a basic one I should think

• RMweb Gold

If that's the case then their R8249 decoder does not support the setting of CV 5, one of the reasons why it's termed "basic".  I would still try a decoder reset (store 8 in CV 8 ), after which you'll need to change the address again.  If that doesn't work then I would take it back to the shop.

If that's the case then their R8249 decoder does not support the setting of CV 5, one of the reasons why it's termed "basic".  I would still try a decoder reset (store 8 in CV 8 ), after which you'll need to change the address again.  If that doesn't work then I would take it back to the shop.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go

• RMweb Gold

All decoders must have both CV7 and CV8:  CV8 indicates the manufacturer id (Hornby is 48) and CV7 the version number (the R8249 has a value here of 13).   The standard way of resetting the decoder is to store the value 8 in CV8.  Of course this doesn't change the contents of CV8 but is recognised by the decoder as a reset request.

So what DCC system are you using? And can you display the contents of CV7 and 8?

Archived