RMweb

Llanelly(Seaside) - Build suspended

ianwales

Hi Ian,

Crumbs you have been busy, can you tell me as to where you got the adjustable feet from? 

Regarding your thoughts as to making the layout double tracked, in my opinion I would say no because I have roughly 16' width and I found it just to tight. Unless your happy to have the curves close to the walls you need at least a couple of inches for some sort of scenic break.   I went for a single track and just doubled it throught the station and yard for a passing place, I'm glad I did because sometimes less is more, and it doesn't look so cluttered. This is just my opinion but I hope it is of some help to you, who said the planning was the easy bit !!

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Depends what look you're seeking to achieve.

You may find a coarse sand - if you have a local beach - suitable.  I have some finer sand which I've used for road surfaces and it would probably do ok for an 'ash and crap within a yard' situation.

I've personally never found 'commercial' ballast that expensive, what is usually the killer is the cost of postage so you really need to pick it up from a model shop or a show.

Garden centres and the like sometimes sell decent sized bags of small gravel/chippings for things like bonsai tree pots. I don't recall seeing anything small enough for 7mm (I've been looking with a view to 16mm narrow gauge) but it may be worth a look.

Hi Martin

Found the feet on Ebay here - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171229524693

HTH

Ian

There is a selection of adjustable feet here:

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/cart_feet.htm

I would advise against buying a version that does not have a lock nut or a nut next to the foot for making the height adjustment in situ - from experience!

Regards.

Edited by 66C

Hi

I would welcome some opinions please on my first attaempt at ballasting,

First shot is the storage yard after having sprayed the track with a light earth colour, actually a khaki spray I found in Halfords.

post-4712-0-26143000-1392928882.jpg

Then I went to Pets at Home and bought some aquarium gravel, but I am just wondering if it is a bit coarse for a 7mm layout so I have only laid it dry at present, if it is no good then I can hoover it up and pass it on to my son for his tropical fish tank.

post-4712-0-16608700-1392929009.jpg

post-4712-0-19403300-1392929020.jpg

what do you think

Ian

Hi

I would welcome some opinions please on my first attaempt at ballasting,

what do you think

Ian

Hi Ian,

My honest opinion is to donate the gravel to your Son's fish tank, I usually find that what most suppliers sell as 4mm ballast is usually spot on for 7mm ballast, just my input.

ATB,

Martyn.   PS.  If you want a really fine gravel to represent ash and small chippings for sidings, I find kiln sand works well, kiln sand is what they use to lock in the blocks in block driveways.

Edited by 3 link

Last year I came across the Polak range via All Scale Models in Ireland (http://allscalesmodels.com/).  I settled on 5354 Light Brown (pictured below) as I felt it best suited what I needed for my layout, but 6 different colours such as granite and limestone are available.  Bags contain 300g of material and are priced at €1.75 which works out at about £1.50 (plus of course postage).  'Scuse the unweathered Peco track.

post-8328-0-92864900-1392932988.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all

I am putting together the Springside  signalbox detail kit and my query is -  one of the parts in the kit is a Webb Electric token machine which I want to put in as the terminus is at the end of a single line, did these machines incorporate the block bell or would there still have been a block bell on the instrument shelf?

Ian

Hi all

Just a couple of pics-

2nd attempt at the ballasting

post-4712-0-62484800-1393685735.jpg

post-4712-0-14213200-1393685745.jpg

This looks a lot better to me than the first attempt and means that Baseboard 1 is essentially finished, I start on baseboads 2 and 3 next which will be slightly more difficult given they need to be angled across the room to give me the width for the end curve.

Also this week an addition to the stock list -

A Siphon J

post-4712-0-08635000-1393685767.jpg

Ian

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

Next question is, How do folk deal with track at a baseboard joint on portable layouts please?

Ian

popular options include:

a. just cut the rail and slide fishplates across the join

b. solder the rails to a bit of copperclad  which is attached to the board ends

c. screw some brass screws into the edge of the boards and solder the rails to the screws

• Like 1

popular options include:

a. just cut the rail and slide fishplates across the join

b. solder the rails to a bit of copperclad  which is attached to the board ends

c. screw some brass screws into the edge of the boards and solder the rails to the screws

Ian.

I'd agree with 2ManySpams's  suggestions but 1) is not the best as the rails can get easily bent if caught while moving the boards.  My personal preference is 3) - I've used it for years on club layouts and it takes a mighty hard bang to shift the track!!

Rod

• RMweb Premium

Ian.

I'd agree with 2ManySpams's  suggestions but 1) is not the best as the rails can get easily bent if caught while moving the boards.  My personal preference is 3) - I've used it for years on club layouts and it takes a mighty hard bang to shift the track!!

Rod

That's the option I'm going to use on Pencarrow too. 

Hi all

I had a visitor to the layout yesterday, Andy Jack aka Two Tone Green dropped by to have a look at the layout room and to give me some o guage DCC tips, he also brought along this little beauty.

post-4712-0-62655300-1396102030.jpg

post-4712-0-80163700-1396102041.jpg

I even managed to rig my DCC system up to the boards so I could actually hear the loco albeit just on 6ft of track, thanks Andy.

Ian

• Like 2