Llanelly(Seaside) - Build suspended

ianwales

Hi Ian,

Lots of potential with the room you have. All you need is SWMBO to finally decide that the layout comes before guest and use the trestles you have built already for your old 4mm layout.

The three track plans you had on paper would all fit the room you have and offer some very interesting near prototypical operations.

As for life under patios, I have nearly been buried a few time for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time to my significant other but have managed to escape every time.  

Sorry, loco is still mine but available to borrow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

A slight change of build order has slowed progress The intention was to build baseboard 1, lay track,  ballast and wire up then move on to follow the same order with baseboard 2 then 3, 4 etc, however while board 1 was completed as seen in photos I came to the decision that having tried to build it as a portable layout my carpentry skills were not up to making accurate portable boards so that idea was abandoned.

Where did that leave things, well having made the (very obvious) discovery that sawing timber in the layout room produces a lot of dust I decided to complete the rest of the baseboards before any more tracklaying, I can hear the mutterings of "I told you so" even as I type this.

So where am I now, well, the former baseboard 1 with its track and wiring has been lowered to mate up with the exisiting boards while today I have completed taking out of the taper that was in the main board on the right hand side of the room, if you compare this photo withe the one in post 19 then you will see the difference. 

post-4712-0-90919900-1399061604.jpg

So now I have a board that is 22ft long by 32ins wide for the entire length, it looks so good in the photo it seems a shame to spoil it by putting track on it!!

Let tracklaying commence.

Ian

Edited by ianwales
  • Like 4

What's the track plan Ian?

Hi Steve

Terminus to Storage yard in a U shape hopefully leaning more towards an urban terminus rather than branch line, a bit like a 7mm version of John Elliot's Bradfield, possibly set on a quayside.

Now I know this contradicts earlier posts when the plan was a London based SR Parcels terminus, but, that changed after the visit of Two Tone Green and his Vulcan and led to the purchase of a Lionheart pannier at the Newport show, so current thinking(but don't hold me to it)is something based in the Llanelly North Dock area with connections to the Central Wales line and the baseboard edge finished off as a quayside with the Langley Fishing Trawler and fish vans galore, although, I may try and find something plausible further east in Wales as I would like to try my hand at one of Chris Basten's Rebuilt TVR Class A 0-6-2T's and as you know from our conversation at Newport I'm also a fan of the 15xx pannier tanks should the kit appear/.

Ian

• Like 1

Sounds good mate, I've passed some 15xx drawings on to Dave MOK so we will have to wait and see. Don't forget to register your interest with him. The more that do the more likely it will happen.

I sometimes regret not picking a South Wales based layout as I'd love a few of the dragon models 0.6.2 tanks they do look very nice.

I hope to collect a Manor at the summer show at the end of May if you want to borrow it as well as the Brit & 4508 prairie for gauging trials.

September there will also be a Black 5 as well

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

Sounds good mate, I've passed some 15xx drawings on to Dave MOK so we will have to wait and see. Don't forget to register your interest with him. The more that do the more likely it will happen.

Hi Steve

Already registered my interest, wonder if any more can be persuaded to add their name to the list!!!!!

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice Ian. How is the track plan coming on ?

Hi Andy

Got a few plans in mind, somthing similar to John Elliot's 4mm Bradfield and I came across a nice layout in a 1969 Railway Modeller called Falcombe which when reversed would fit my site nicely, not sure I can post it here though because of copyright. I will finish tbe storage yard first then use the peco point plans to plan the layout full size before laying any track.

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

A little while since I posted anything, I've been experimenting with Peco point plans to try and see what sortof terminus I can get on the boards. I've been looking at something on the lines of John Elliot's Bradfield, and come up with this adaption, quite pleased with it as I can get a loco and 5 coaches in Plat 1 and 2 and I can run around a 3 car set in plat 3.

post-4712-0-82323100-1407947242.jpg

post-4712-0-88067500-1407947266.jpg

I've also acquired a GWR signalbox for the station throat

post-4712-0-05469600-1407947296.jpg

Ian

• Like 2