Phantom Rides

I came across an interesting article in an old copy of Yesteryear Transport Magazine about the practice of filming rail routes with a bioscope camera from the front of a special low wagon pushed by a loco. These were it seems popular fare for early cinema goers.

They mention among others:-

A ride over the Tay Bridge

The Ilfracombe Line from Barnstable Jnc (Some of this it seems survives on You tube, at least the last section into Ilfracombe does)

Down Exeter incline

Does anyone know of any others that were made and if they or the ones mentioned above still exist. It seems the guy who made these (guy Hale) made two million dollars in two years from them and then the craze for them finished as quickly as it started!

• RMweb Gold

There are some very early "cab rides" - possibly some of them are in this DVD from Video 125 included in:

"Trains from the Arc"

Covers 1890s to 1923.

Price 19-95 for 3 dVDs

I can heartily recommend it. There are also many other fascinating sequence.

- details on Video 125's web site at:

http://www.video125....he_Arc_DVD.html

David

Edited by me to make better sense.

David

The British Film Institute has lists of the surviving Phantom Driver films, along with NRM York, and the Huntley Archive.

There are several already on Youtube, as they are public domain in the older cases. The Pathe/BFI archive etc., also offer on line downloads and sample free low resolution versions where available.

For specific railways try the NRM first, they can pass on to other archives around the country. Most are on line or commercially sell DVD versions. Later shot material like Shell and British Transport films may still be copyright, but the BFI can put you in contact with distributors.

Stephen

Archived