Scottish layout in a shed.

Hi everyone

My most recent layout has just fallen under the Beeching axe and I'm now looking at a new project.

Having bought the 156 2-car Scotrail DMU on a whim (and greedily eyeing up the 158 now!) I purchased the two Ian Futers book on Scottish rail projects. Both books were/are very useful (I thought book 1 was better than book 2...don't know if that's a common belief held by other people?) but I still find myself stuck.

I know what I want on the layout, I'm just unsure as to how to go about sorting a track plan for it.

Right, as for the diameters, I am in the process of making a 'railway room' in the back of the garage by putting a 6x4 garden shed in one corner and waterproofing it. I then plan to have the layout run along one side with the fiddle yard along the ajoining edge in an 'L' shape, with the 6 foot side being the scenic side. In terms of width I'm thinking of a maximum of 18 inches.

Then, finally, in terms of what I want on the layout, I'd like a modernised small station (with Bus shelter waiting room) and an old station masters house now still in situ as a private dwelling. I'd like a run round loop if possible (to enable rail tours and freight trains to run round) too.

I also want a couple of sidings for timber traffic and I'd like it set in that classic Scottish countryside terrain!

Not much to ask I know. :rolleyes: :D

If you'd like to have a go at designing something I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Thank you for your time.

Chris

Hi,

There's a few Scottish layouts on here including mine. Have a look at my Blog, which is being updated tonight as some point. That my give you a few pointers.

Cheers

Thanks Wollaston Blue. Love the name of your layout and will keep my eyes peeled on your blog too! :D

Archived