Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hello from Semi Fast

Semi Fast

Hi,

Like many others, I have returned to the hobby after 30-odd years and am starting to find my way again!  I always knew I would be back, but have taken the leap after inheriting my father's 'train set'.  Dad was not a modeller by any stretch of the imagination - he like to watch his trains go round on a non-scenic baseboard with a few 'ready to plant' buildings scattered around!  A year or so after his death, I finally plucked up courage to open the boxes labelled "Dad's Trains"...  Obviously, there was an emotional impact because of where they came from, but I also knew that the bug would bite the second I extracted the first piece of rolling stock from it's packaging.

A couple of years on and I'm now ready to move from endlessly planning layouts, buying odd items, visiting exhibitions and spending hours browsing the forums to actually doing something.

My wife shows dogs - Welsh Springer Spaniels and Hungarian Wirehaired Vizslas - and most of the house and garage is turned over to that, so I am limited by space.  Any layouts I build will have to be portable and made dust-proof for storage - so I figure I might as well aim high and build for exhibition!  And if she gets to exhibit her dogs...

Anyway, first layout will be a sort of mini layout in 00 built on a wardrobe door, utilising cantilevered cassettes for fiddle and 'off stage' movements.  Framing will be shallow, with just electrics & electronics below the board.  Points & signals will be wire in tube; above the board but set into a sub-base.  Train control will be DCC utilising a Raspberry Pi, Sprog 2 and iPhone.  Frog switching will use a Hex Frog Juicer.

Setting is beyond 'freelance' and into 'imaginary' - somewhere North and/or West of Wolverhampton; GWR-built, LM® operated but still with some WR services; passenger terminus but colliery extension beyond.  Period is the usual 50s/60s transition - to accommodate Dad's stock and my childhood admiration of gleaming green dmu's on the Walsall-Rugeley line on day trips from Great Wyrley to Birmingham.

I expect to be asking for quite a bit of advice over the coming months (and years) - please treat me kindly!

Semi Fast.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Semi Fast and welcome,

That's a great introduction and I wish you well on your modelling journey.

Ask questions, by all means, but please have a little search first.

The layout you are proposing sounds most interesting so please keep us informed - in the relevant section!

(Photos are always welcome too!!)

Kev.

Archived