Class 67 fault

valeofyork

I've been collecting bits and pieces of N gauge for a few years, but due to lack of a layout it's been sitting in a drawer. I've now put together a basic layout and tested the locos, and most of them are fine (particularly impressed with the performance of the Dapol HST).

However, one of the locos, a 67 from the Wrexham & shropshire set, clearly has a fault. I put it on the track and applied power, and its lights came on and it did a half-circuit of the track, then stopped. I couldn't get it to move again, although there was a faint buzzing when power was applied (no lights now either).

I checked that the pickups were making good contact (they were), so not that. I carefully removed the body, unplugging the lights, and checked the solder joints, all of which appear to be OK. Putting the chassis on the track now gets no response at all when power is applied, not even a buzzing.

Although the loco hasn't been run before (I bought it new) it will be well out of warranty now. I know that DCC supplies are the Dapol authorised repairer, and I see that they have a chassis for the 67 on their site for sixty quid. I have also emailed DCC supplies asking for a likely cost to repair the existing chassis.

So, is there anything else obvious I could check which might be the cause of the fault?

Thanks

Thanks - you are correct!

I applied the power to the motor contacts, and the motor ran. At the same time, one of the components on the circuit board went up in a puff of white smoke!

So is it possible to get a new circuit board? This isn't listed on the DCC supplies site as an available spare.

Or, anyone know how much DCC supplies are likely to charge to replace the circuit board?

DCC supplies and Dapol offered to repair it (and the HST I have with faulty lights) free of charge given that they had been stored since I bought them :thankyou:

Good customer service there!

Incidentally, on a related topic does anyone know whether it's possible to fit lights to a dummy Class 67 bodyshell? I've got one of the limited edition dummy models of 67012 which Dapol did for Wrecham & Shropshire, for sale on their trains, and I want to motorise it. The motorised chassis is available from DCC supplies, but this is obviously without lights. I guess it might not be practical to add lights to the bodyshell (I can live without them!) but thought it worth asking in case anyone else has tried doing this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a Dapol 67 that recently failed. I have taken the motor out to test and its had part of the windings fail as it will turn if initially turned by hand until the powereis removed and the same happens when powere is reapplied.

Been in touch with DCC Supplies but unforutnatley there are no spareas available and they dont know when or if they will become available.

I will try and dismantle the motor to see if I can repair it  but I can't really see a sensible way into it.

So the best option is to replace the motor with another make.

Before I start down this route has any one on here already done this?

Ian

they dont know when or if they will become available.

This is a basic component - they main motor - and spares may never become available?!? Dapol are going back on their promise a long time back of most spares becoming available via DCC supplies....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53898-Dapol-no-quibble-12-month-warranty/?p=646167

Motors are fundamental - I'd contact them direct (or via Facebook) and ask about obtaining a spare...

Cheers,

Alan

A few pics of a Dummy 67 Internals. There's really nothing inside, the only help you get is the pickup's on the bogies. The rest of the lighting circuit you'll have to build yourself. Lots of room to work with though.

post-11575-0-02965000-1418390738_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-58191400-1418390739_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Gold

This is a basic component - they main motor - and spares may never become available?!? Dapol are going back on their promise a long time back of most spares becoming available via DCC supplies....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53898-Dapol-no-quibble-12-month-warranty/?p=646167

Motors are fundamental - I'd contact them direct (or via Facebook) and ask about obtaining a spare...

Cheers,

Alan

Yes I remember that post but of course theres been a change of people so suspect that along with the supply problems form China that things have changed.

The loco is a few years old now and run a fair few miles so will be out of warranty. If it was in warranty then I would be in touch with Dapol.

. I have a hcoice if I cant fix the motor to either leave it as a dummy and wait to see if repalcement motors do eventually tuen up or put an alternative motor in it whihc does look very feasable. If that works then there is a readily availble way of getting any filed one working again.

The loco is a few years old now and run a fair few miles so will be out of warranty. If it was in warranty then I would be in touch with Dapol..

I'd contact them anyway - they may be gracious enough to offer you something, or advise on future delivery of spares, even if you are out of warranty - nothing to lose.

Might also highlight to them that we need spare motors to be available for the diesels as well as the steam (the steam version of this motor has been available from DCC supplies).

Cheers,

Alan

Archived