A bit of a tender subject really

John Oxlade

Being a bit of a newbie, I have noticed a few differences in tenders on various locos and I wonder if someone can clear the murk in front of my eyes? I have limited access to reference material and there's probably a perfectly simple answer, so I'll just say what I know/understand (even if wrong) and someone can hopefully correct me.

T9s almost always had 8-wheel, inside frame tenders. If I recall correctly, my Father referred to them as watercarts. However, I have seen photos of them with 6-wheel outside frame tenders.

Did the T9s last long enough to gain late emblems?

All the photos I have seen of N15s show bogie tenders (not that "all" in this instance is a lot), except Hornby did Sir Meliagrance with a watercart (?) tender.

Somewhere...? I have seen something about some locos being coupled to shorter tenders for use on the central division where the turntables were shorter - but I have no idea where I saw that now.

So, how much did tenders get changed around? Was this on a whim, or was there logic behind (some of) it?

Just to be awkward, now that I want an N15, the only one I can find here in NZ (also astronomically expensive) is Sir Meliagrance with a watercart tender and early emblem, when I'd actually like a bogie tender and late emblem. i.e. Their previous model of Sir Kay. I guess it is "eBay here I come".

I'd also like an un-rebuilt Battle of Britain or West Country with the late emblem; again, not thick on the ground.

I still can't make up my mind whether I am a central or south western modeller; Dad started work at Salisbury but then moved to Redhill - which is where I grew up.

Decisions, decisions...

Did the T9s last long enough to gain late emblems?

Can't help with any other bits of your question, but I can answer 'yes' to this. A few did, at least 30313 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/10576993963/ ) and 30726, and I'm sure someone knowledgeable in things Southern will be along to add more.

Since you're in NZ, you might be interested in this site - http://www.hobbycity.co.nz/shop/Trains/Locos/Hornby+Steam+Locos/-HOR_R3107.html .

Yes I went in to both their shops yesterday. Nothing of major interest actually in stock. They had a Q1 but I can't bring myself to buy one. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think they look awful.

I did get a Schools and rebuilt Merchant Navy from them a while back in a sale for less than I would have paid from the UK discount shops with postage. But Sir Meliagrance for over $300 (more than £150) is a bit steep.

• RMweb Gold

The Model Centre have R2622 in stock - 30778 Sir Pelleas.  It's one of the "Scotch" Arthurs (was built in Scotland) and has the nice bogie tender.  Recently bought one myself too!  They do ship overseas.

http://www.themodelcentre.co.uk/00-gauge/Hornby-locos/r2622-Hornby-br-39-sir-pelleas-39-30778-king-arthur-class-n15/prod_1425.html?added=1

The Southern was probably the worst region for swapping and/or building tenders for specific tasked locos. This is because many of the Southern routes were not long enough to justify using a large heavy tender but would then be rostered to do some heavy train to a distant outpost and it was then necessary to calculate water consumption since it took too long to refill a tender mid trip. Good quality soft water was at a premium on the Southern as were refilling points.

Remember also that the T9 was retro fitted with a superheater and this additional power resulted in an increase of water consumption.

Archived