Reading O Gauge Traders Show 7th Decemebr 2013

two tone green

This excellent show is on next weekend 7th December at Reading

I would past a link to the events page of the Guilford O Gauge Group who organise the show but Due to on going issues on here with links and Internet Explorer its best you do a google search for it and look up the details yourself. Seems ok on other web forums though.

But the list of traders is impressive. No layouts as such other than a test track, just traders and not a clothes shop in sight. Bliss.

Its an ideal place as well for those on the edge of going O as it will give you an idea of all the goodies out there to spend your hard earned pennies on and what you will get for them.

Breakfast is good in the little café and not too expensive. Don't forget your five one pound coins for the parking but you get three pounds back at reception when you show your parking ticket.

So see all you O gauge shoppers there.

I also plan to be there (hope that doesn't put anyone off...) although currently undecided whether to come over by train or drive up.  The cost of driving plus parking is not that different to train plus taxi to/from station. 

I have no large/heavy purchases planned (nor the cash to do so) this year so a train journey would be fine - however the downside is that it's an hour on a 165 each way.

Pre-orders in with Tower Models and Skytrex for collection, a quick detour via Peter Clark for something, if Buzz Models have something I've been waiting for then I can hopefully stop by Phoenix Precision for the paints to go with it, and a look at Minx Microdrives to see whether it's going to be the most cost-effective option for point motorising or whether something else is a better bet.

Right... I've not showered for a fortnight, I've dug out my biggest rucksack, and I've just made tomorrow's breakfast of some stilton and garlic paste sandwiches which I will leave somewhere warm until the morning.

Sprouts Mexicane is in the oven, ready for tonight's meal.

Is there anything else essential I've forgotten?

A good point Stationmaster - although many people on this forum will have no interest in O gauge itself, the tool suppliers, Phoenix Paints, Minx Microdrives and a number of other traders there will be "cross scale" and worth a visit if you aren't too far away.

Then of course the temptation of the slippery slope into your first 7mm purchase...

I will also be attending with my mate Ted.

I have raided the piggy bank, (so if you hear

the sound of lots of loose change behind you,

that'll be me!).  :secret:

I'm on the lookout for a 7mm B17 (Sandringham)

chimney, after a mishap involving a dodgy box, a

doorway and a scatty, ballistic, heat-seeking cat!  :O

After that, any old bargains will do me.  :yahoo:

Cheers, Jeff

• RMweb Gold

A good point Stationmaster - although many people on this forum will have no interest in O gauge itself, the tool suppliers, Phoenix Paints, Minx Microdrives and a number of other traders there will be "cross scale" and worth a visit if you aren't too far away.

Then of course the temptation of the slippery slope into your first 7mm purchase...

And as my daughter - who usually accompanies me to such events - is away in Germany for the weekend the 'temptation resistor bank' could well be disengaged, oops

Had a good day. Spent lots on lots of little things. Amazing how little things all add up to quite a weight and size. Went back to the car three times

Bumped in to lots of fellow RM Web O gaugers and had some good chats with traders which should result in more dosh changing hands some time after the festive season.

Also checked up on the progress of my DJH 7mm Britannia on their stand. Hopefully it will be ready to show off at the Bristol show. :sungum:

Popped up to Howes of Oxford afterwards to pick up some Heljan spares.

So well worth the trip up the M4. I is happy :locomotive:

Just arrived home with aching arms.  Met a few people I recognised and a few I didn't from here, altogether a fairly productive day.  Here's my stash.

Peco curved point

Several tins of paint (forgot a brush... doh)

2 x Minx Microdrive point motor sets

4 x terraced house fronts (PLM)

DMU cab and manhole covers (Peter Clark)

Skytrex
7/022 concrete platform 50”          
7/023 concrete end ramps            
SMRA04 large wooden barrels   
SMRA17 small wooden barrels 
7/BC08 sliding wooden doors       
7/256 ground frame               
EE/11A small girder bridge side x 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah well, at least i seem to have been rather more stingy careful than you two chaps arriving home with only a book and some Precision paints.  So I duly resisted temptation - several times over - notwithstanding the fact that I could readily have spent a lot of dosh on some very attractive items.

It would be interesting to hear more about the Minx microdrives please cromptonnut - they do look rather good so I did pickup a data sheet.

Hi Stationmaster

Most of what I got was pre-ordered so I knew to take just the right amount of cash for what I wanted - only went £40 "over budget" which the flexible friend can happily handle.

I hope to do a review - of sorts - once I've got them set up, but as I have no track laid at the moment and the critical component to position everything else from was the curved point I picked up today I hope that during the next week or so I can start to get things laid and then set up the Minx unit and have a play. 

I could, however, have spent several thousands of pounds on other things I don't necessarily need.  I'm saving off on further "big purchases" until such a time as I actually have working track to run it on... my Heljan 33 will cope with everything for the moment, I could use a 31, 37 and 50 quite easily and then get some more stock for it to pull.

A couple of "negatives" but both beyond the control of the show organisers really as they're venue related... if you're going to charge for parking at least make sure the parking machines work (or, in several cases, are still actually there), and the cost of food/refreshments was a little high but I suppose to be expected in a commercial venue.

Otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Hi Mike The Minx Micro Drives do look nice and am considering them for the signalling on my layout. My only concern is the size of the control box, its quite big considering it can only control two servos. But with careful thought and planning multiple control boxes could be mounted out of the way. Will have to delve under the boards to see how they will fit in.

I did think the signal bounce a little quick but still quite nice. It lacked weight to be realistic to me.

But I did have  a good chat about the servo capabilities to 'reverse drive' point rodding. I have ideas about controlling points on a small O gauge layout using working point rodding from an operational signal box.

Two options on this. Point levers in the box operate a microswitch that causes the serve to drive the point rodding that moves the point. Quite conventional in some ways.

Second option is that the servo is connected directly to the point motor and still operated by the point lever and micro switch but whilst the point rodding will move, its cosmetic. It would be connected to the point and be driven by the tie bar on the point and be pushed, pulled by the point. So not direct connection to the servo motor.

This second option is the better solution me thinks as it gets over any slack, backlash, tolerances in build that would exist in the rodding. A lot more forgiving this way and the point would move correctly each time.

But they guy did say he thought his servos etc would be more than capable to do this. in fact he did make a comment that they were detuned to limit the load they can exert on a point so it need be they can be tweaked upwards to give a little extra grunt if need be.

So a I came away with some good feelings about this. Futher investigation needed with some playing time and a test set up.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stationmaster

Most of what I got was pre-ordered so I knew to take just the right amount of cash for what I wanted - only went £40 "over budget" which the flexible friend can happily handle.

I hope to do a review - of sorts - once I've got them set up, but as I have no track laid at the moment and the critical component to position everything else from was the curved point I picked up today I hope that during the next week or so I can start to get things laid and then set up the Minx unit and have a play. 

I could, however, have spent several thousands of pounds on other things I don't necessarily need.  I'm saving off on further "big purchases" until such a time as I actually have working track to run it on... my Heljan 33 will cope with everything for the moment, I could use a 31, 37 and 50 quite easily and then get some more stock for it to pull.

A couple of "negatives" but both beyond the control of the show organisers really as they're venue related... if you're going to charge for parking at least make sure the parking machines work (or, in several cases, are still actually there), and the cost of food/refreshments was a little high but I suppose to be expected in a commercial venue.

Otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable day.

The problem with the car park ticket machines at Rivermead is one that goes back for years in my experience although this time I was lucky and parked within 20 feet of a (the?) working one; we ceased to eat anything there a long time ago as what were once very reasonable prices have been pushed up & up over the years.

Had a good day at the show. I had to go in my car instead of the bike unfortunatly as I had to take some Heljan pre-production models for them to display and I knew I was going home with a largish empty! box from Peter Cowling to take my 3 car Thumper unit all together. I also got an etch MkI bogies from Pete Waterman and a few castings from him. Got a couple of seats for the Thumper that I was short of from Peter Clark and had a good look at the Tadpole unit, tempting for next year maybe. Got hold of a Queen Mary brake van which should keep be busy in the new year.

For fodder I had a large Hotdog from the little van outside which for £3 was ok.

Very nice time had by me.

Very good show :sungum:  come away with 4 x JLTRT MK2's so a happy bunny  :locomotive:

Also good to meet up with some fellow RMWebber's, thanks for the guided tour Cromptonnut good to meet up with you today.

Roll on next year!!

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

I also went over budget, doh!

Still, I got the chimney (sort of) from the nice man

at DMR Products. He is posting it to me for £3!

I then did quite well with the bargain hunting;

3 half made wagon kits (complete)   £ 35

1 scratchbuilt 'open C'                      £ 15

4 coach bogies (incl wheel sets)       £ 20

1 Hymek body                                   £ 20

Great I thought, all done and dusted.

Then I noticed the Thames Suite!

I found 2 s/hand GWR coaches (less bogies,

but see above), got them for £30 the pair.

Also had a hotdog from vendor outside, £2:20,

good value and tasty.

Good show and good day, Jeff

Archived