G & SWR

david12345

I remember vans sitting at Lugton branded for some type of fertiliser product but can't recall the full name.

Edit - UKF Fertilisers   (and I believe that Lima used to do a bogie van in that colour scheme)

Hope this helps.

Jim

Hi David,

There was a yard at Lugton and platforms because it was a proper (junction) station at one time but by the time I was aware of it, the station and the depot were closed, although there were a couple of sidings left which could be used to hold a few vans etc. I also remember that Stewarton, the next station along the line from Lugton, also seemed to receive these UKF vans  so perhaps they were dropped off the Giffen train at Lugton while the vans for the MOD depot were worked down to Giffen and then taken to Stewarton afterwards.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Used to spend ages at Cumnock watching the trains on this line in the early 70's when there was loads of traffic due to the WCML electrification work. Wish I'd had a decent camera back then!

SNAP! I used to spend ages at Cumnock watching trains in the early 60's when there was still loads of coal and other traffic including stopping and express passenger workings mostly still steam hauled. Wish I'd had a decent camera too.

Ian.

Archived