Class 150 DMU's

Redsrail

Morning All,

I'm modelling BR blue/ Railfreight red stripe era, would the class 150 DMU have been around then or is it more modern than that please?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Terry.

Thanks a lot David, i wasn't so sure whether they'd fit in with my 101's and 108's.

Cheers.

Terry.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks a lot David, i wasn't so sure whether they'd fit in with my 101's and 108's.

Cheers.

Terry.

Hi Terry,

As the 150's were replacing the First Generation Units they ran side by side the older units. You have chosen quite an interesting period to model. I got back into Railways in 1982 (Banger Blue Period) so have a keen interest.

Interesting...? er yes...especially as i'm not all that clued up on railways and learning as i go. Just need to repair my 150 now, the power unit is in great condition, but the body of its mate has a whacking big lump been broken off and its nowhere in sight. Thats why i asked the question....i wasn't sure  if i should put it on a auction site as a spares job or fix and keep it myself.

Remember they'd be in the early "Sprinter" livery.  Assuming you're modelling in OO, the 32-928 150/1 will be fine but the 32-926 150/2 in Regional colours is too new.

The "Provincial" 150/1 special for Trains4u came in 1985 so would also probably be useable.

Hi Terry,

As the 150's were replacing the First Generation Units they ran side by side the older units. You have chosen quite an interesting period to model. I got back into Railways in 1982 (Banger Blue Period) so have a keen interest.

We were in the North-East at the time the Sprinters arrived to replace the first-generation units; at least, the theory had been they would.. There were quite a few issues with the new stock, which meant the 101s and 108s were hurridly patched up to cover failures. At one time, 1st-generation sets with defective engines were rostered to be hauled by locos, and some rakes of Mk1 stock were used for longer runs. A friend was Fleet Controller for the DMUs, and had to resort to using his car to get to work at times.

We were in the North-East at the time the Sprinters arrived to replace the first-generation units; at least, the theory had been they would.. There were quite a few issues with the new stock, which meant the 101s and 108s were hurridly patched up to cover failures. At one time, 1st-generation sets with defective engines were rostered to be hauled by locos, and some rakes of Mk1 stock were used for longer runs. A friend was Fleet Controller for the DMUs, and had to resort to using his car to get to work at times.

Thats a handy thing to know, so you're saying they coupled a loco on the front and just used them similar to regular train, correct ?

Thats a handy thing to know, so you're saying they coupled a loco on the front and just used them similar to regular train, correct ?

Exactly.. Some of them were dog-rough- I dozed off when leaving Carlisle once, and woke up on the floor near Haltwhistle. The seat-stub wasn't attached to the frame..It was interesting from an enthusiast's point of view, but rather less so if you relied on the train to go to work.

Depending upon which classes of loco's you;re looking to model, Class 31's in blue were some of the last knocking around, and of course there were 56006 and 56011 was it, or certainly two of the early ones, which last in BR quite late.

The last class 58 in Railfreight Redstripe lasted until around 1990ish as did a fair few other classes, so a 150 and class in BR blue and Redstripe could easily take it through to 1990, but by then of course other livery variations would be seen on the other classes of loco's Triple Grey, NSE, InterCity etc.

• 4 months later...

I see we're just left with 150001 for the summer now, with 002 off for a 'summer holiday' in the Bristol area. I remember when those things turned up, as well as the test runs with 150130. Surprising to think they arrived around two years ago now!

post-7515-0-46295100-1397254554_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-04542600-1397254560_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-28817400-1397254683_thumb.jpg

Archived