Rovex train sets

darkwolf

I appreciate that Rovex fans probably represent a minority here, and that the sets were pretty crude, but I consider the Rovex models to be quite important. After all, you could say they're the seeds from which the whole range initially grew.

As we know, sets were sold by Rovex, and then Lines bought Rovex and continued to produce the sets under the Tri-ang banner. I always wondered how the transition took place. I have Rovex trainsets sold by Rovex (both with the picture of the loco on the front, and with the white label), containing Princess locos with plunger pick-ups and original Rovex type couplings.

Then I found this set, which has a loco with sintered iron wheels, X02 motor and Tri-ang type 2a couplings. Interestingly the included card mentions Tri-ang on the back. I have no reason to think that these contents aren't the original. Also I have seen a Rovex set on eBay which again has a metal-wheeled loco. So presumably even after Tri-ang made modifications to the locomotive and couplings, they were still using up Rovex-era packaging. Interestingly Pat Hammond's book shows a picture of a plunger Princess sat on top of an early dark red flip top Tri-ang box. I wonder if plunger pick-up locos were sold in red boxes whilst the yellow boxes in sets bridged the transition for sets? Or maybe I shouldn't be so interested in such minor details ; ) An interesting set nonetheless...

post-21120-0-24934700-1386537703_thumb.jpg

post-21120-0-28677500-1386538286_thumb.jpg

When rovex was sold an amount of stock was bought as well. Including in this updates to the basic princess model which took it from the plunger princess to the solid more metal chassis we see more often roday. It is still a possibility a run of early triang richmond packaging could have been put with a plunger princess. I cannot remember when exactly triang marked the princess so on the mold. I know early triang princess models have turned up carrying a triang group label usually under the cab floor.

That looks like the Rovex style track not Tri-ang 'Standard' track.

I find all these minutiae very interesting.  I'm not a 'collector' of early stuff but the history and development of Rovex, Tri-ang, Hornby, GF etc. is fascinating.

Amongst a lot a picked up last year was a plunger Princess and tender with some Rovex style track but also two converter pieces to link it to the Triang standard track. I realise that Series 3 track was so called because is was in fact the third design to be used, with Super 4 following, but I'm unsure why the next version was called System 6 - was the Dublo two-rail track unofficially designated the 'fifth' type?

I realise that Series 3 track was so called because is was in fact the third design to be used, with Super 4 following, but I'm unsure why the next version was called System 6 - was the Dublo two-rail track unofficially designated the 'fifth' type?

According to Pat Hammond, the new track design started out as Series 5 in 1968 but at some stage before production the name was changed to System 6:

http://www.mremag.com/news/article/system-6-track/12464

According to Pat Hammond, the new track design started out as Series 5 in 1968 but at some stage before production the name was changed to System 6:

http://www.mremag.com/news/article/system-6-track/12464

Thanks for that link, very interesting. Pat mentions the nickel-silver System 6 track which in my experience is very hard to find (I'm talking about the original Margate made stuff, not the current range or post-1993 Austrian production). I've got a diamond crossing and a r/h point in nickel-silver, the only two pieces I've ever found. I think it was only the points, crossings and flexi-track that could be had in nickel-silver.

• 5 months later...

That is the 1979 Hornby Book Of Trains, the big Hardback.

It may be of interest that Tri-ang Railways had a "Conversion Kit" to change a Plunger Princess with plastic wheels into a metal wheeled with pick up version.

I have the contents list, the kit MAY have been a Service Scheme Dealer Special?

(More another time...)

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Going a bit off topic,i was looking on the linked triang website at track catalogues. I never seen the super four water troughs did they actually exist?

I always think series 3 track would be good for modelling a miniature railway in 1/32 scale

They exist all right. I have a couple of boxes of them around somewhere, never used them though. You will often see the odd section still attached to a rail on ebay auctions. The end pieces being harder to find. I picked up a part-full box years ago and spent a goodly while hunting down the missing bits and then at the Glasgow show around five years ago came across a full box for the princely sum of £15.00. sometimes you just get lucky.

I always thought what we are calling Standard track was in fact Universal track with the earlier one being Standard. Also worth noting the earlier track whatever it is called comes in steel and brass versions.

Best wishes

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Dear Sirs I have a pre 1948 Rovex train set which I got for my 5 birthday and I would like it to go to a good home, I was wondering how I could sell it .

Hi Casper, welcome to the forum.

There is a sales and wants section, however, I think that there is a qualifying period or number of posts needed to be able to use it.

A set of that vintage must be of ineterst to someone, sio if you are unable to use the RMWeb facilities, e-bay is probably your best bet.

Sorry that I can't be of more help,

All the best,

Regards

Ian

They exist all right. I have a couple of boxes of them around somewhere, never used them though. You will often see the odd section still attached to a rail on ebay auctions. The end pieces being harder to find. I picked up a part-full box years ago and spent a goodly while hunting down the missing bits and then at the Glasgow show around five years ago came across a full box for the princely sum of £15.00. sometimes you just get lucky.

I always thought what we are calling Standard track was in fact Universal track with the earlier one being Standard. Also worth noting the earlier track whatever it is called comes in steel and brass versions.

Best wishes

Jamie

IIRC It was always called Standard in the late fifties to distinguish it from Series 3. I gather however that it is strictly called 'Universal', referring to how it can be connected together, rather than what will run on it - strictly Tri-ang (possibly why the name was dropped?). At the time, I always wondered why it was Series 3, not being aware of the earlier Rovex variety. Irrelevant really, as the earlier stuff was made of cellulose acetate and had already warped by then.

I was under the impression that the initial grey track, (Rovex) would only assemble one way so reverse curves etc could not be formed and therefore no points. It was only when it became Tri-ang that the track ends were symmetrical and could be used either way that it was classed as universal. This was 2 versions of the grey so when the black was brought out it was called series 3. I could well be wrong but thats what I was led to believe.

Garry

Garry,

You pretty much covered it there though as Il Grifone said the earlier stuff of both kinds was acetate and eventually warped or shrank or both. Nonetheless it did last a reasonable time as I got my first trainset R1X for Christmas 1953 and while the track was expanded with series 3 I was able to use both successfully until Super 4 came out and replaced the lot.

Of course I have since replaced all my grey track (as you do) because the later stuff was made from polystyrene and thus stable. I prefer the look for running my earlier Tri-ang.

Best wishes

Jamie

I actually thought the Grey was better than the Series 3 black track.  The grey looked to have a raised ballast due to hits height and slope but would have benefited with the sleepers being painted which I know was not practical cost wise.  Series 3 always looked wrong with its sleeper spacing, "liquorice Imp" style end tabs (for those that can remember them) and the large upright white point levers.  At least the grey version of a turnover handle on a point looked like a real goods yard etc one.  Pity they broke easily.

Garry

Garry,

You pretty much covered it there though as Il Grifone said the earlier stuff of both kinds was acetate and eventually warped or shrank or both. Nonetheless it did last a reasonable time as I got my first trainset R1X for Christmas 1953 and while the track was expanded with series 3 I was able to use both successfully until Super 4 came out and replaced the lot.

Of course I have since replaced all my grey track (as you do) because the later stuff was made from polystyrene and thus stable. I prefer the look for running my earlier Tri-ang.

Best wishes

Jamie

The first Rovex track (the kind that could only be connected one way round) and some very early pieces of the Triang pattern (with connectors at both ends) were moulded in silver-grey plastic which seems to warp less than the pale grey. The Rovex straights were longer than the later Traing ones but I have a few Triang ones in silver grey made to the Rovex length but with the universal connectors. There was clearly a lot of chopping and changing between 1950 and 1952 as the original M&S train set was turned into a complete system.

It all seems very little documented (hardly surprising for the arcane end of a 60 year old toy train set) - Pat Hammond's book doesn't go into huge detail and the info above is gleaned from the pile of early track I have dug out (for pennies) from rummage bins. Although I don't keep a lot (it's basically dead weight these days) I hang on to unusual pieces and the odd piece that has survived unbroken, enough to set up a simple oval with a siding or two if I could find the time. 

I thought that Pat Hammonds book (Volume 1 "Tri-ang Railways") actually covers the track very well.

It goes as far as listing the various tools used for all the Tri-ang Track Systems (Universal - Super 4). Including what track was made abroad.

It is from this book that I can say that the very first Tri-ang straight track sections (Universal) were indeed "ROVEX" length.

The Silver-Grey plastic contains aluminium, and is was found that this was causing undue wear to the tools, and the aluminium was removed, leading to the plain Grey track.

Rovex, Tri-ang Railways and Tri-ang Hornby Track Systems.

ROVEX Non-Universal Track. Silver base. Can only be connected one way around, to make a circuit. Without fishplates. Straight Track, Straight Track with Power Feed. Curved Track. Brass and later steel rails. C1949-1951

Tri-ang Railways "Universal" Track. Silver Base. Based on ROVEX design, but can be connected either way around, so not limited to circuits. ROVEX length Staright Tracks at first. Later made shorter to fit in with a new geometry. (Later made with a Grey Base.) Straight Track with Power Feed now with Uncoupling ramp. Left and Right Hand Points, Diamond Crossing, other size track sections now available. 1952-1958, but still available later.

Special Converter Tracks available for a time to link "Tri-ang Universal" with "ROVEX" Track.

Tri-ang Railways "Standard" Track. Grey Base. Based on ROVEX design, but can be connected either way around, so not limited to circuits. (The same as "Universal" but re-named on the introduction of Series 3 Track in 1958) Late issue track sections. Uncoupling Ramp Straight, Isolating Rail Straight. 1958, but still available later.

Tri-ang Railways Series 3 Track. No Base. Black sleepers to the same spacing, etc. as "Standard" Track. No "Tongues" as with the earlier Track Systems. Instead a small “catch” or “lug” on each end sleeper serves to “lock” the sections together. Power Feed now by a "Power Clip". Seperate Uncoupling Ramp Straight Track section and Isolating track straight section introduced. 1958 - 1962, but still available later.

No special Converter Track made, depite a small change in track level when joining Standard to Series 3 Track.

Tri-ang Railways Super 4 Track. No Base. Brown sleepers to a more “scale” spacing. A new Geometry from the earlier Track Systems, with a shallower “Turnout” on the points,  and a larger 1st Radius Curve. Small notches in each end “half sleeper” are intended to “lock” the track sections together (and it works pretty well too!).

Seperate Uncoupling Ramps (Clip-fit into track sleeper base) introduced. Alos other clip-fit fittings increased in number, now alos including the TPO set, that up to now had special track sections. 1962-1971, but still available later

No special Converter Track made, A small modification to the track ends is illustrated, when joining Super 4 and Series 3 Track.

Tri-ang Hornby….Uses Super 4 Track. A Converter track was made to connect Hornby Dublo 2-Rail track to Super 4 Track. 1964-1971, then Hornby Railways...

All Tri-ang Track Systems to date are compatible. The ROVEX track could be joined to Tri-ang Universal with the Converter Tracks made at the time!

Tri-ang Hornby Series 5 Track. This system was not actually released as such. The 3rd Radius Super 4 Curves were marketed in adverts with  the number “5” (5 Good Reasons...) to make it seem that this was the rumoured NEW track system. The R. numbers for Series 5 would have been R.5XX…. and made with Code 100 size rails.

Tri-ang Hornby System 6 Track. (From C1971) Made with Code 100 size rails. Black Sleepers. Originally the notches and Half-Sleeper arrangement from Super 4 was used with System 6 Track as well.

The Converter track was re-tooled (With System 6 type sleepers at the code 100 end) to connect System 6 track to Super 4 Track.

Later Hornby Railways track was made by ROCO in Austria.  (etc.) This is when things started to go downhill, as the “Clip Fit” slots were not now in between every sleeper, as they were from Series 3 Track. The half sleeper went as well…and the track looked a lot like most other Code 100 Set Track!

The Converter track was re-tooled again, with the new type System 6 type sleepers at the code 100 end to connect New System 6 track to Super 4 Track.

Now made in China…..and not System 6 anymore, Just Hornby Track! ;)

I thought that Pat Hammonds book (Volume 1 "Tri-ang Railways") actually covers the track very well.

It goes as far as listing the various tools used for all the Tri-ang Track Systems (Universal - Super 4). Including what track was made abroad.

It is from this book that I can say that the very first Tri-ang straight track sections (Universal) were indeed "ROVEX" length.

The Silver-Grey plastic contains aluminium, and is was found that this was causing undue wear to the tools, and the aluminium was removed, leading to the plain Grey track.

Rovex, Tri-ang Railways and Tri-ang Hornby Track Systems.

ROVEX Non-Universal Track. Silver base. Can only be connected one way around, to make a circuit. Without fishplates. Straight Track, Straight Track with Power Feed. Curved Track. Brass and later steel rails. C1949-1951

Tri-ang Railways "Universal" Track. Silver Base. Based on ROVEX design, but can be connected either way around, so not limited to circuits. ROVEX length Staright Tracks at first. Later made shorter to fit in with a new geometry. (Later made with a Grey Base.) Straight Track with Power Feed now with Uncoupling ramp. Left and Right Hand Points, Diamond Crossing, other size track sections now available. 1952-1958, but still available later.

Special Converter Tracks available for a time to link "Tri-ang Universal" with "ROVEX" Track.

Tri-ang Railways "Standard" Track. Grey Base. Based on ROVEX design, but can be connected either way around, so not limited to circuits. (The same as "Universal" but re-named on the introduction of Series 3 Track in 1958) Late issue track sections. Uncoupling Ramp Straight, Isolating Rail Straight. 1958, but still available later.

Tri-ang Railways Series 3 Track. No Base. Black sleepers to the same spacing, etc. as "Standard" Track. No "Tongues" as with the earlier Track Systems. Instead a small “catch” or “lug” on each end sleeper serves to “lock” the sections together. Power Feed now by a "Power Clip". Seperate Uncoupling Ramp Straight Track section and Isolating track straight section introduced. 1958 - 1962, but still available later.

No special Converter Track made, depite a small change in track level when joining Standard to Series 3 Track.

Tri-ang Railways Super 4 Track. No Base. Brown sleepers to a more “scale” spacing. A new Geometry from the earlier Track Systems, with a shallower “Turnout” on the points,  and a larger 1st Radius Curve. Small notches in each end “half sleeper” are intended to “lock” the track sections together (and it works pretty well too!).

Seperate Uncoupling Ramps (Clip-fit into track sleeper base) introduced. Alos other clip-fit fittings increased in number, now alos including the TPO set, that up to now had special track sections. 1962-1971, but still available later

No special Converter Track made, A small modification to the track ends is illustrated, when joining Super 4 and Series 3 Track.

Tri-ang Hornby….Uses Super 4 Track. A Converter track was made to connect Hornby Dublo 2-Rail track to Super 4 Track. 1964-1971, then Hornby Railways...

All Tri-ang Track Systems to date are compatible. The ROVEX track could be joined to Tri-ang Universal with the Converter Tracks made at the time!

Tri-ang Hornby Series 5 Track. This system was not actually released as such. The 3rd Radius Super 4 Curves were marketed in adverts with  the number “5” (5 Good Reasons...) to make it seem that this was the rumoured NEW track system. The R. numbers for Series 5 would have been R.5XX…. and made with Code 100 size rails.

Tri-ang Hornby System 6 Track. (From C1971) Made with Code 100 size rails. Black Sleepers. Originally the notches and Half-Sleeper arrangement from Super 4 was used with System 6 Track as well.

The Converter track was re-tooled (With System 6 type sleepers at the code 100 end) to connect System 6 track to Super 4 Track.

Later Hornby Railways track was made by ROCO in Austria.  (etc.) This is when things started to go downhill, as the “Clip Fit” slots were not now in between every sleeper, as they were from Series 3 Track. The half sleeper went as well…and the track looked a lot like most other Code 100 Set Track!

The Converter track was re-tooled again, with the new type System 6 type sleepers at the code 100 end to connect New System 6 track to Super 4 Track.

Now made in China…..and not System 6 anymore, Just Hornby Track! ;)

A few additional notes - I have the Rovex-Universal converter tracks in both silver-grey and grey plastic, suggesting that they were made for a while.

When System 6 was introduced, points, crossings and the flexi-track were available additionally with nickel-silver rail - these are very hard to find today. In 1993, the Austrian/Roco made track went over to nickel-silver, this was four years after the last 'magnadhesion' loco was made which required steel track to grip. Although made by Roco, the Hornby track always had its own tooling, it was not the same as Roco's own track systems.

When production shifted to China, the Roco tools were sent over, and the 'Made in Austria' legend altered. Later, a full set of new tools was made for the track, but the old tooling lives on and is now used to make Bachmann track sections (!). Bachmann's track is designed as a lower-cost alternative for Hornby and even uses the same numbering with a '36' prefix - so a Bachmann equivalent of the R600 straight is sold as item 36-600, and made from the old Hornby/Roco tooling! 

Archived