Possible colour match for LNER Donny Green - now painting and lining C1 3279

Atso

Hi guys,

I think I might just have found a reasonable colour match to Phoenix Precision Doncaster Green. The product is called Liquitex, an acrylic based paint, and the colour is Chromium Oxide Green. I bought a 400ml spray can from Hobbycraft today for £5.99 and painted a test piece. This was a piece of plastic card with no primer layer, the paint is touch dry in 15 minutes!

The colour is just a tad lighter than Donny Green but under most lighting conditions (tonight, I'll check again during daylight hours) is indistinguishable. Picture compared to the top of the Phoenix tin below (I've painted a tester piece but the enamel unsurprisingly is nowhere near dry yet!). I've got a spare Farish V2 body shell that I'm stripping and will try painting a model with this during the next week or so.

post-943-0-57608800-1387143786.jpg

Please note that the hand holding the tin is not mine!

• 8 months later...

Right, as a very late follow on from my initial discovery, I've been painting my 3D print of Gresley's rebuilt C1, 3279.

I've used the Chromium Oxide Green as my Doncaster Green and I think it looks very good. I'm part way through lining it at the moment but think it is starting to look the part.

89b7e266-de10-413f-9e6d-bd1bfd4a2d7b_zps

Please be kind, this is an N gauge model!

• RMweb Premium

Doncaster green is one of the most difficult railway colours there is to get just right.

None of the available commercial model railway paints are right and neither are the colour swatches supplied by the NRM when enquiries are made by preservation societies etc.

You only need to look at the colour that Green Arrow appeared in, or Morayshire, to see how poor they look.

It is one of those colours that when it is right, you can just tell.

The other thing is that it is a colour that is very much altered by the light falling on it and that makes it very difficult to photograph.

Having said all that, making allowances for reflections etc. that looks a nice colour (and a nice model of an unusual prototype). The Phoenix paint is a little too dark and has a little bit too much blue in it, so if yours is a tad lighter, you are not going to be far off.

I have a sample of real LNER Doncaster green paint and I have tried to photograph it and post it on here before but what appears on screen is never the same colour as what I have in front of me, so it is a pointless exercise!

Tony

Thanks for the information Tony. I feel that this is a good shade for 'Doncaster Green' so fingers crossed it will look the part once finished.

The main reason I've got for this and not Phoenix's paint is the quick drying time an acrylic spray provides. It's close to Phoenix's colour but is just a tad lighter so hopefully I've stumbled onto something a little more authentic!

Anyway, a bit more progress on 3279 and another model makes it's debut.

7cda7535-6f5b-4b14-a20d-c9c445926ef8_zps

2f01dc17-9f98-44c0-8ba2-a8e1fe270487_zps

872ea2be-d17f-4ff0-9723-e056f9a48e99_zps

Hi all,

The first and, I think, the last time I add the class designation to the front buffer beam!

ff7f7bdf-992a-4267-a646-3cd745bc7af0_zps

Getting all the reasonably straight and level was a whole world of fun, I can tell you! 

A view of the side showing that a start has been made to lining out the washout plugs.

78618d07-0933-4158-a753-e7bdf98a20cc_zps

The tender has been repainted and will hopefully start receiving some lining tomorrow!

Hi all,

Right, I've finished lining the boiler wash out plugs and tender but only on one side each. After much consideration, I think I'm going to have to line the front of the cab but I'm not sure if I'm going to tackle the spectacle rims yet. I'd love to line the splashers but the height of the front one is only a 1mm or so...

Anyway, enough waffling...

917025eb-d392-453d-89aa-72cf6ba8c112_zps

Sorry for the somewhat poor quality tonight - the light is not good today...

Well after a mammoth effort and a tiny bit of foul language both 3279 and 4659 got finished to a basic state in time to get a run on 'The North of England Line' at the International N Gauge Show last weekend. Many thanks to Mike J and the NOEL team for putting up with me all Sunday afternoon and letting me run my locos!

post-943-0-10672400-1410793550_thumb.jpg

Thank you Nelson, that's my first proper attempt at an LNER green loco and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!

Mick, I've got a part lined 'standard' C1 on the go, I'll try and post a picture of the two together sometime over the next few days.

If you have a motor factor business nearby, they will copy your sample of genuine Donny green using their very accurate colour analyser and make you up a spray can of it.  It ain't cheap but if authenticity is what you want that's the way to get it. 

Archived