RMweb

Where to buy 7mm cast axle boxes and brake gear?

Coromar

Hi all,

As a novice to O Gauge I have been put off buy the prices of new wagons and kits, so I decided to try scratch building some wagons.

My question is where can I buy cast axle boxes and brake gear? I have found some at Invertrain but they are HR and I plan to model SR and GWR.

I managed to buy some at an O gauge show in Langley but now I am stuck.

I would be most grateful for any help.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi all,

As a novice to O Gauge I have been put off buy the prices of new wagons and kits, so I decided to try scratch building some wagons.

My question is where can I buy cast axle boxes and brake gear? I have found some at Invertrain but they are HR and I plan to model SR and GWR.

I managed to buy some at an O gauge show in Langley but now I am stuck.

I would be most grateful for any help.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul

If you are a member of the Gauge O Guild, there is a product directory under the Traders heading on the Guild website.

You can also search the list of traders web sites for suppliers of specific items.

If you are not a member of the Guild - why not? Membership opens a lot of doors to suppliers.

As to the cost of wagon kits it is worth shopping around as several suppliers offer discounts on Parkside kits.

Parkside will also, if asked nicely, supply chassis components (complete frets) from their kits - this would give you a flying start on custom builds.

Regards.

I would suggest that scratch building in O Gauge is not especially cheap, unless you are prepared to make literally everything. And if you can turn your own wheels and cast your own buffers and axleboxes, you certainly need no advice from me. 

ABS/Parkside/Slaters Plastikard do offer quite a range of bits and pieces though. The ideal way to buy from ABS is to catch him at an exhibition, as he has a truly amazing range.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Paul,

Invertrain in Scotland sell wheels and axles boxes: http://www.invertrain.com/

It is possible to make your own though from card and paper;

es89z5.jpg

I used mount board to make these, but now after talking to John Fownes who make card locos and coaches I would use the 0.6 mm card that Rymans sell.

Cheers - Jim

• RMweb Gold

If you want to scratch build to save money making your own either from card will save a lot. You could always make a master and then cast them in a suitable resin ( you could do them in white metal but the kit isn't cheap). I wonder if producing a set of W iron by etching and then building up the axleboxes and springs from card or plastic would be the best option.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Archived