Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

West Country clay sidings early 80s ( new direction 2015)

rob D2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

well, ive had a bit of time off, but with half term there hasnt been much modelling.

I've started building an office block from foamboard and card - the windows will be square on the finished article, this is just the foamboard bit to let the light in,

post-450-0-64773500-1393333226_thumb.jpg

I've also taken delivery of another 2 BP TEAs to make my just appearing under the bridge style train....this livery dates from 1987 onwards and they need to be a bit more 1982 ish, so out comes the T cut and getting rid of the BP bright markings commences. This and weathering is going to be a very long job on 4 of them..

post-450-0-70329200-1393333369_thumb.jpg

this is the rest poking out the bridge..

post-450-0-49099100-1393333404_thumb.jpg

you can also see the warehouse which is a bit of a space filler...i had to cut it down to even more half relief. Eventually I'd like an old goods shed around here, and this siding will be my BR public siding, used for fertliser in PWAs and parcels for a nearby mail order company in BGs, GUVs and vans.

I seem to be moving away from the midlands theme a bit and towards something akin to cowley freight terminal, more western inspired stuff i guess. we shall see.

Not really mate,

All I have time for is a quick shunt at present...

I've ordered some acrylics from howes to try some more weathering with, but I don't seem to get the time to get my teeth into anything.

The office building is going to take forever, as are the tankers, so they are longer term projects.

hi,

this weeks update,,,

some small items dealt with

1.sleeper grime wash applied to track areas to make ballast darker.

2.Bachmann railway personnel repainted to reduce 2000s hi viz clothing to that of 80s

3.folliage added to embankment, hanging basket liner colour revised.

4.tarmac hardstanding colour changed - still not happy its too dark and blue now, so will need redoing.

took delivery of this recently. just managed to get body off, remove Bachmann gunk and substitute my own grease.needs a smaller decoder before body returns:

post-450-0-14005100-1394143667_thumb.jpg

Alos continued with a bit of work on the TEAs,

bogies painted in 'frame dirt'.experimenting with 'roof dirt on sides' (left side here).I was hoping to hand paint the characteristic straeks of spilt fuel , but it didnt work and was removed/ I think an air brush will be essential to make a go of that. Shame - dont have one (yet)..

post-450-0-83292600-1394144036_thumb.jpg

thats my workbench you see there, a bit of cardboard ! no more time this week, very busy and spending 50 % + of March away

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

A brief update - what's been happening ?well, a bit of general detailing, more grass, more foliage.

I reprinted the hard standing again, this is about number three colour. Still not 100 % but better , I'm going after a look of tired Tarmac

post-450-0-58002000-1395742401_thumb.jpg

I managed to get the concrete fence up round the end of commercial road, by the snack bar and repainted this chap to give him more 80s less hi viz look of the time

post-450-0-57538000-1395742490_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-89795900-1395742523_thumb.jpg

I've been struggling with a knight wing road trailer, mainly because of the fact I lost the axles !

Also the size of my workbench is an issue, being the top of ikea magazine holders -all I have space for in a box room with the plank

post-450-0-88965700-1395742644_thumb.jpg

I now need three more structures - the distribution shed , for which I'm experimenting with 5mm ply but not certain I can cut it accurately enough,

Something for the embankment - likely to be Ten Commandments stone cast offices

And something for the hard standing - not surgeon this but probably low relief older railway building...

Cheers

Hi Rob

You're getting more work done than I have been lately!

One benefit of having a small workspace is that you're forced to be tidy(ish) and you don't end up with the mess that I have spread out everywhere.

On the subject of your TEAs, I think that where you have tried to erase your earlier weathering on the tank barrel, the effect looks subtle but good. I think it would be worth experimenting with adding more layers of the same with a more dirt below the fillers. Each time you add a layer and wipe it off again, you are replicating what happens with the real ones and the effect builds up. I'm not convinced that an airbrush is essential to weather tank wagons effectively. Perhaps try and imagine that you are oil that has overflowed from a filler and think what you would do!

.........and no, I haven't been smoking anything funny!

PS. It's all coming on nicely.

Hi,

freight transit shed is now complete as a kit minus, the roof.I wont glue it together until i have the cladding for the outside as it will be unwieldy to deal with due to its size. This shows the idea anyway

post-450-0-29018500-1396613123_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-01176700-1396613150_thumb.jpg

I have been building this knightwing trailer, to add to the outside hard standing. It hasnt gone ogether that well and has induced much swearing.it will need some refinement. Anyone know if those little wheels at the front are supposed to keep this level when there is not tractor unit cos as you can see they dont...

post-450-0-64509100-1396613268_thumb.jpg

On the flip side im very enamoured with these roger smith etched speed restriction signs.... anyone know if the reverse side is all balck or the numbers are still yellow ?

post-450-0-59975600-1396613356_thumb.jpg

some large logo action as '535 postiions 2 NPCCS vehicles for loading on the hardstanding with mail order parcels..

post-450-0-21830200-1396613438_thumb.jpg

I've decided the models emphasis should move towards the western region more and go back to my favourite period late 70s to mid 80s,

thus there will be some stock disposals that dont fit the period. unfortunately this means large logo and railfreight grey are the latest.

therefore this nice machine will be the first to go on the classifieds..

post-450-0-65362600-1396613592_thumb.jpg

TTFN !

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while.

Crazy busy at work getting in the way of the toys...

Transit shed is stuck together, will need a roof and spray with halfords primer next

post-450-0-00735200-1399483612_thumb.jpg

I've been distracted by my search for BR blue class 31s....as Hornby aren't making any right now it's like the search for the holy grail to be honest.

I've got these two up and running....unaltered 31268 and recently purchased 31165, the latter needed a bit of work as when I unscrewed the body three of the four mounting pillars for the screws disintegrated . Cue a lot of swearing and glue to get them back so the boys can be attached.

post-450-0-32312600-1399483768_thumb.jpg

I've also got another 2 BR blue Hornby bodies. These have problems - 31174 is intact except for the dreaded corner crack, from chassis Mazak issues. I'm going to fill the small hole and see if we can get away with it. Will need to purchase chassis. Not sure I'll be able to match hornbys colmans mustard shade of warning panel though...

post-450-0-80041800-1399483902_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-17167600-1399483979_thumb.jpg

The one at the back is the original 31270, whereby Hornby forgot the body side metal band strip. For some reason I wrote this off as totally unusable and experimented with rattle cans of rail match on it....what a dumbass ! So I spent time today, cleaning the whole thing with TCut, so now we have a weathered and er....shiny....31. Other issues for this are one missing side grille and strange colour change where I experimented with getting decals off with liquids other than T cut. So I'm not sure if it is fully feasible to get this back to life. I will see how the filler job goes on the other first.

post-450-0-58094700-1399484244_thumb.jpg

So I really need 4 or 5 of these beasts, 2 for WR/MR trip workings, couple for engineers and one for, well, I just like them...!

Sorry about photos , I'm down to an iPad and free resizing software now.

Cheers for now

• 1 month later...

In between messing around with locos and shunting, progress continues very slowly.

post-450-0-23066800-1404499435_thumb.jpg

A very realistic shunting disaster !

The transit shed, has had a few more bits fitted , inc the impression of roller shutters and had some gaps filled before spraying with halfords primer. The lorry trailer has been ironed out and the forklift has been rejuvenated .

post-450-0-26795200-1404499546_thumb.jpg

Next job is to install ratio fencing around the logistics siding

post-450-0-23903000-1404499581_thumb.jpg

This may take awhile !

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

Here we are again.....not much has happened on the layout , but I've renamed it to suit it's geographic location a bit more. I've been turning my attention to having a bash at weathering....

I'd always shied away from having a go at the locos due to the cost involved if I cock it up, but I'd coded to bite the bullet and have a go at a 47.

This particular one has a damaged body side on one side from a failed renumber, so was ideal to start with.

I didn't want to go the expense of an airbrush ( or hassle) so I brought various rattle cans from howes of rail match colours.

This is the result, you can't get the subtlety of an airbrush but can get some basic tones on to tone it down from the Bachmann look.

The hardest thing was the body sides as the method I was going to use ( paint on, wipe off ) just didn't work well. I did then use some pastels, but I think the coat of Matt varnish blew them off mostly.

Of course you can't see so clearly but this has the precision decals, ' domino' stickers applied as well.

post-450-0-67631100-1406135539_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-54533200-1406135563_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-32643500-1406135587_thumb.jpg

So that's my WR 47/0 sorted, I have another 2 to do . One will be a Stratford white roof and one an ETH.

These will be core to my passenger fleet on the next project .

Cheers

Hi Rob

slowly but surely it is all coming along nicely.

I know what you mean about being wary of trying to weather an expensive loco.

A few posts back you mentioned your collection of 31s including ones with damaged or altered bodies,

could you practice on one of them giving it a Bath Road 1980s style of weathering (filthy)?

Noone would be able to tell what the colours were underneath, just like the real ones in the 1980s!

cheers

Archived