Re-using RTR Wheels for EM Gauge Conversion

brossard

Hi all.

I'm in the process of converting a Bachmann Jinty to EM Gauge.  This is an explorative exercise and I want to see if I can re-use most of the RTR model, especially the motor, gearbox and wheels.

I have the EMGS axles and have discarded the RTR axles (well they're in the box).  The first big difference of course is that the RTR axles are knurled whereas the EMGS ones are not.

Now the wheels are fairly good.  The main issue is that the flanges are really too thick for EM being ~ 0.7mm (RP25 I think) while the EM spec calls for 0.54mm.  I corrected this by filing the backs so that I now have wheels that are close to the EM spec., wrt flanges at any rate.  I can feel running clearance so I think that's good.

My main worry is whether the wheels and axles will maintain quartering.  The wheels have mazak centers and NS tyres (all metal anyway) with plastic 2mm bushes.  I note that push fitting the wheels onto the axles, there is little resistance to twist.  Last night I applied Loctite sleeve lock to the wheels and axles and quartered.  Today, the bond seems mostly good, although I did have one failure of the bond on the driven axle when testing coupling rods.

My question is what the experience has been with EMGS axles and RTR wheels, especially maintenance of quartering.

I am about ready to fit Markits wheels, but I want to know what others have found.

Thanks in advance.

John

Thanks Gareth, I have heard about this.  Maybe it's worth a try.

John

Edit:  So I took the driven axle and refitted the gear and wheels.  I made a spacer from plastic strip and set the B2B.  I used cyano to fix the wheels on the axle, and that seems to have worked.  I'm not sure that using cyano on the EMGS ax;e wouldn't have achieved the same result but I'm not messing with success.

I then reinstalled the wheels sets in the chassis.  The driven axle was stiff (I had used washers to keep it centered) so I daubed a paste of jeweller's rouge and oil over it and worked it with my fingers.  After a few minutes of this the wheelset was spinning merrily.

I connected the rods to the driven axle and, sure enough, things were very stiff.  I had reamed the holes in the rods to be about the same as the RTR rods.  It crossed my mind to remove them and ream them some more, but just for a giggle I daubed my jeweller's rouge paste on the bosses.  Again, I worked the wheels with my fingers and to my delight, things loosened up within a few minutes.  So, I think I've cracked it and the chassis is whizzing along the test track like a thing possessed.  I'll continue working the assembly to get it super smooth.

I'd still like to hear what folk think about those EMGS axles.

John

• 9 months later...

Astonishing to realise that it's been nearly a year since I touched this project.  A week or so ago, I had the bright idea to contact EMGS via the forum on the site to ask about the use of EMGS axles.  To my delight I got some very quick responses.  The thing I chose to pursue was to use a punch to dimple the 2mm stub axles in 3 places.  This raises material on the axle and sure enough the wheels no longer have a tendency to rotate.  The trouble is, and this is down to my workmanship, I got one wheelset eccentric.

I think that I will abandon the idea of using RTR wheels for the Jinty conversion and go with Markits on 3mm axles.

John

Archived