Motor bogies: Tenshodo x Bullant x Stanton Drive x Black Beetle

Nick_Burman

Hello all,

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a number of kits which require Tenshodo motor bogies to complete. However, supply of these can be erratic at times, which leads to a question, how do other motor bogies (Bullant, Black beetle, NWSL Stanton Drive) compare in size with the Tenshodo bogies (say, the WB26)? Would they be drop-in exchanges for the Tenshodo ones?

Cheers NB

The Black Beetle is probably the closest in physical size (and all the wheelbase and wheel size settings can be matched) but the BB is a little taller than the SPUD so often needs a hole cut in the floor of a coach or unit to fit properly.

The Bullant is much taller so would need a space above the floor level as well.

Both Black Beetle and Bullant use much better motors and metal gear trains so their longevity should be much better than the Tenshodos. They are somewhat more powerful than the Tenshodo and quite a bit smoother as well, in my experience.

I cannot comment on the NWSL drives as I have absolutely no experience with them.

In summary:

Black Beetle and Bullant are smoother and more powerful but both would most probably require some adaptation of the model to fit in place of Tenshodos.

Having said that, if your Tenshodos are mounted using the metal mounting arms and have a large space above them anyway, the other two mentioned here should be easy to fit in place with suitable brackets/mounts.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased one of the NWSL drives. I have only test run it so far but it seems very well made and quite smooth, and from what my memory tells me it's a bit smaller than a SPUD (but I haven't seen one for a few years). It's heavier than I thought it would be but I couldn't say how powerful it is - it's only going in an industrial so will only need to pull 2 or 3 wagons anyway..

Stu

Archived