South Pelaw Junction

johndon

Some more progress on the 03 chassis:

IMG_3281.jpeg.c37acc777aa15b93e42b1a2bd38864c1.jpeg

Coupling rods riveted (I think I may need to add a bit solder to get a more solid feeling to the rods where they are laminated):

IMG_3283.jpg.c4f995909de3444cb3947b794c7c3475.jpg

and a start on the gear box:

IMG_3284.jpg.b9b1769f6cd8cbcdc7e502d59e1f0790.jpg

John

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

A while since I posted anything on the layout but recent progress has been pretty good and, with the exception of blades for one of the single slips, all the trackwork on the three boards is now complete and testing has started. Despite my colour coding the droppers (red to the front and black to the back), there have been a few shorts and I've found half a dozen or so instances where I managed to get the wires the wrong way round. Tie bars are being added to turnouts one a time and thoroughly tested and tweaks made before moving on to the next one.

The up and down mains are completely tested apart from connections to two servos to be added, here's a short video from tonight's testing session:

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A test of Signal 60 at South Pelaw which, in the period I'm modelling, had a semaphore home signal and a colour light distant signal.  The distant relates to a home signal that is further along the line than the modelled area so it could be on or off.  

When the semaphore arm of signal 60 is 'off', I've programmed an Arduino (a good opportunity to brush up on my C++ programming) to randomly select one of the three possible aspects for the colour light signal. If the arm remains off for long enough, the aspects cycle back to green so, if the original aspect is double yellow, after a few, programmable and set to 5 for the purposes of the video, seconds it changes to single yellow and then back to green.

I've also made a start on my first attempt at a ground signal using an LNER Upper Quandrant from MSE:

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

John,

This may have been covered elsewhere, but if the home signal remains in the off position for a while, shouldn't the distant cycle through amber, double amber, then green, which implies that the train in front is progressively clearing the sections ahead?

Or have I missed something?

G

• Agree 2

Almost 3 years since the first board was built, I laid the final length of track tonight.  Lots of tie bars and chairs still to fit but the rail is complete which means, for the first time, I've been able to run something across the junction across both single slips and a diamond.  The run isn't perfectly smooth so there is some adjustment to do but the loco made it all the way, there and back again without falling off so I'm really rather pleased...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You'll soon be ready for the "Roy Jackson Test", 2 x Sulzer 2 + 9 hoppers, every route, every direction, every speed!

Mike.

That's the plan, lots of testing so any train can run on any route, in any direction before any ballast goes down.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, johndon said:

Almost 3 years since the first board was built, I laid the final length of track tonight.  Lots of tie bars and chairs still to fit but the rail is complete which means, for the first time, I've been able to run something across the junction across both single slips and a diamond.  The run isn't perfectly smooth so there is some adjustment to do but the loco made it all the way, there and back again without falling off so I'm really rather pleased...

Nicely done.

• Thanks 1

John,

Do you have any information about the variations in the class 24s used for ore train operation?

I missed the boat with the SLW 24s, so I'm having to rely on the Bachmann offering and make modifications according to whatever information I kind find on the prototype. 

The roof detail relating to exhaust shape and position is confusing depending on the loco and period modelled and I'm struggling to find anything reliable.

Any advise or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bob

1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

John,

Do you have any information about the variations in the class 24s used for ore train operation?

I missed the boat with the SLW 24s, so I'm having to rely on the Bachmann offering and make modifications according to whatever information I kind find on the prototype. 

The roof detail relating to exhaust shape and position is confusing depending on the loco and period modelled and I'm struggling to find anything reliable.

Any advise or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bob

I did have some documents a few years ago before the SLW 24 came along, I’ll see if I can dig it out. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johndon said:

I did have some documents a few years ago before the SLW 24 came along, I’ll see if I can dig it out. 

Thanks John,

As you might imagine, it's only for 5101 to 5111.

Bob

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Wasn't it D5102 to D5111?

Also, do SLW still do the upgrade kit separately?

Mike.

You're absolutely correct. 5101 was transferred to Holbeck in 1967.

SLW still do the upgrade. Do you know what is in the kit?

Also, SLW sell the sound decoder but insist that the decoder and stay alive kit are only suitable for their model. Can the decoder be used as a standard installation with models other than SLW?

Thanks,

Bob

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

You're absolutely correct. 5101 was transferred to Holbeck in 1967.

SLW still do the upgrade. Do you know what is in the kit?

Also, SLW sell the sound decoder but insist that the decoder and stay alive kit are only suitable for their model. Can the decoder be used as a standard installation with models other than SLW?

Thanks,

Bob

Having not purchased a SLW Sulzer 2 (sacrilege I hear you all shout!) I honestly haven't got a scooby about them.

Mike.

39 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Having not purchased a SLW Sulzer 2 (sacrilege I hear you all shout!) I honestly haven't got a scooby about them.

Mike.

Yeah! Focussing on 9Fs, I missed the boat on SLW 24s. Anyhow, I already had a few old Bachmann locos and thought they were OK until I bought a couple of the new Bachmann models which aren't half bad. SLW would be nice but I'm reasonably happy.

I've put Legomanbiffo sound in them and I'm as happy as a sand boy. With a green one on the way, I thought I might see if SLW sound is as good in the flesh as they are on John's videos. 

Edited by RBAGE

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I presume you've seen this?

Looks like it's not quite such a simple job.

https://derbysulzers.com/24102.html

Mike.

Hmm!

Yes, thanks Mike. I seem to have spent a big chunk of the last few days on this site and others that might shed some light.

What is needed is a series of Green Books on first generation diesels. 

Anyway, research is an integral and very enjoyable part of the hobby.

I think that's the accepted excuse for not finishing anything, isn't it?

Bob

Edited by RBAGE
  • Agree 2

Unfortunately I can't find the document I had, I probably binned it when I got rid of my Bachmann 24s when SLW came along.  Happy to take some detail photos of 5107 which I have with the Tyne Dock kit fitted if that would help...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johndon said:

Unfortunately I can't find the document I had, I probably binned it when I got rid of my Bachmann 24s when SLW came along.  Happy to take some detail photos of 5107 which I have with the Tyne Dock kit fitted if that would help...

John,

That would be smashing. Thanks.

Having struggled with Bachmann locos yourself, I'm sure you already know the most important areas for modification:

- Roof

- Buffer beam

- Fuel tank and battery box.

Thanks again.

Bob

6 hours ago, RBAGE said:

John,

That would be smashing. Thanks.

Having struggled with Bachmann locos yourself, I'm sure you already know the most important areas for modification:

- Roof

- Buffer beam

- Fuel tank and battery box.

Thanks again.

Bob

No problem.  All my 24s are at the club so I'll try and get photos this week when I'm there although I believe there may be a chance that you'll be coming along in person soon?

41 minutes ago, johndon said:

No problem.  All my 24s are at the club so I'll try and get photos this week when I'm there although I believe there may be a chance that you'll be coming along in person soon?

Thanks John and yes, I'll be there. And I'm going to try to convince my wife we need to visit her mother, in May, so that I can see things at the EM Gauge Society Show.

See you soon.

Bob

• Like 2