Potters Bar and South Mimms 1930s

Phil Brighton

Some great progress since the last time I looked in. Loving the D2 and the suburban rake - nice to give prominence to essential parts of loco/stock 'scene' such as that (rather than just pacific after pacific - nice though the latter undoubtedly are!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rather boring ballasting work is going on but it is nice to really now be getting stuck into scenery. Want to get the major messy bits done so I can run a few trains again. To help stop getting fed up with ballasting I have also started a Mailcoach Silver Jubilee set. Not much to look at now but I think they should come out nicely once painted up.

post-12639-0-78299100-1425507892_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-75734900-1425507903_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-59380400-1425507915_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

In terms of the building layouts, I've always found scenery to be the most sastifying element. To get really stuck into.

Good work on the ballasting

Nestor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Preview: Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Silver Jubilee is almost done - will take better pictures when I have done the transfers and final bits and pieces.

post-12639-0-37878900-1433110276_thumb.jpg

I have as ever without finishing what really needs doing (ballasting) started a new project making a DJH C1 Atlantic

Is coming along fair rapidly and goes together very nicely. Certainly compared to the last 2 locos I made with were second hand models dismantled and rebuilt.

post-12639-0-52186500-1433110296_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-20600400-1433110317_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-11125900-1433110341_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Silver Jubilee progress

attachicon.gifImg_0735.jpg

Hi Phil

Like the thread, you can't have enough GN/LNER.

I'm interested in the finish you have on the Mailcoach Silver Jubilee set, how did you achieve it ? did you mask up and spray or paint by hand. I have a set on the "to do" list but until I figure out how to finish it I won't start it.

Dave........Chris.......Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

I can tell you what I did but it doesn't make it the right way...

First up windows were masked both sides with revel colour stop latex masking fluid. Painted in with a cocktail stick. The whole lot was then sprayed in primer and the outside sprayed light grey. The plan was, as I have done with a Mailcoach Tourist Stock kit, to then use a bowpen to tidy around the windows to get straight edges. This proved too hard as the Humbrol paint was stupidly thin (is it me or is Humbrol paint not what it was?) so I am having to very carefully scrape the paint away from the inside edge of the windows to get good edges. Doing it again I might, after the masking fluid, then use tape to cover the whole window. The down side of this would be that the silver pen I am using for the beading might not take too well to bare plastic. The other fun bits about the kit are that the corridor ends need filing to fit the roofs, the floor is too short and needs extending a few mm and the fairings needs quite a bit of filling and sanding to get them to seamlessly meet the body. All good fun.

The absolute bottom line of course is keeping paint and solvent away from those windows!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil, That's along the lines I was thinking of.

I've looked at the kits a couple of times and although the construction is straightforward enough I didn't want them hanging around while I tested out some painting options. I figured I would mask up the large area of glass with low tack tape and then using maskol (or similar) for the tops, that way it would all have a coat of primer, then mask the entire window for topcoating and a pen for the silver frames.

I did think about painting them all on the bench before building but there is too high a chance of damage doing it that way for me.

I reckon I'll move them up the build list looking at yours, although they're still behind another 5 wagons, 6 coaches, an N2, C12 and I really ought to finish my single before Rapido ! ......Oh and finish tracklaying.....

I think if you go that route you may end up with the same problem I had where I had wonky edges to the toplights where I have used the fluid and it was a pain to clean up. Also I would be concerned about creep under the tape on the main windows.

I agree about not painting them before assembly, I didn't fancy doing it that way as I wasn't convinced I wouldn't end up repainting half of them again once fitted together.

• 2 weeks later...

post-18225-0-49844800-1435005940_thumb.jpg

The C1 just needs a few details adding and it can be painted. Running is good enough but I am not sure why my kit locos are noisy. This is quieter than the other forwards but grinds a bit in reverse.

attachicon.gifc1djh.jpg

post-18225-0-54509200-1435005957_thumb.jpg

Now complete (my compliments indeed) and nowhere near as noisy as you first thought!

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

This is all great stuff Phil.

I too am modeling the ECML in this era (Welwyn North), but in N gauge. (How I wish an N gauge C1 was available!)

I grew up near Welwy North, was a regular at the Cowper Arms for a while, and commuted from the station in the 1990s. When in the area in July (I live in Massachusetts) I spent most of a day happily photographing and measuring to enable me to draw and build the structures. I had not realised that so much of the coal drops has survived! Currently, I am having a lot of fun researching the beehive works (which I vaguely remember) and reconstructing it on paper.

My project is focused on 1930, but stretches to 1925-35 and beyond. I am in the planning stage at present, slowly collecting and building stock and still a long way from actually constructing the layout--or even figuring out where to house it!

My research is ongoing, but I wonder if you were able to establish the track plan at Welwyn North in 1930? I have a pretty good idea what it was like at that time, but don't know if the crossover in the down sidings seen in early C20th photographs was still in place at that date. It had gone by the mid-30s, and is a feature I would like to approximate using Peco Code 55 track, but it would be much simpler and cheaper if it were not period appropriate!

Many thanks.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Jonathan,

As far as I can remember I did establish the track plan in the mid-30s and I think the cross-over had gone by then. However when looking at the book I thought detailed this, Welwyn's Railways by Tom Gladwin (if you haven't a copy I would very highly recommend it), it doesn't make it clear. The cross overs were there in the 1907 image of that end of the station and the book doesn't talk about any rebuilding until 1935. I am sure this was the bit that gave me most trouble with the track plan. I will see if I can dig out any more info and let you know as I am sure I did reach a conclusion in the end and my designs for the station don't have it.

I have done a fair bit more on the layout in the last weeks so I better do an update...

Thanks Phil--this is the part of the track plan giving me the most trouble too.

I think I need to study old OS maps to see if they offer any clues. On my recent visit to a Hertfordshire the library's map collection was locked up and I had no time to get access, or to visit the County Record Office.

There is an aerial photo from 1928, but it is not clear enough to discern track details. The crossing is not there on the 1931 signaling diagram shown in Welwyn's Railways. My hunch is that it went before 1930, but I'd ike to be sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just to show I have not been completely idle...

Nothing in the pictures is finished. Lots do do on the locos, stock and scenery but it's coming along.

I have tried to get to a point with the layout where the big messy parts are done but I have not quite got there yet.

post-12639-0-84045800-1441321214_thumb.jpg

DJH C1 heads north

post-12639-0-55359600-1441321233_thumb.jpg

Coal drops still need a lot of work

post-12639-0-80849800-1441321252_thumb.jpg

J6 on a local train heads south moving to the two track section from the slow line

A few more pictures while I am at it

post-12639-0-80742000-1441321273_thumb.jpg

K3 on a coal train. It really should be heading the other way fully loaded into London

post-12639-0-34399400-1441321295_thumb.jpg

Silver Jubilee from above

post-12639-0-09120600-1441321316_thumb.jpg

Still haven even got the basics of scenery on the 'north' end

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Coming along nicely Phil, you're making better progress than I as I'm still a way off scenery with 30+ Tortoise still to fit, and electrickery on 5 boards as well as the last 2 boards of track to lay.

Admiitedly it's an overhead shot but the Jubilee looks good :imsohappy:  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi guys.

This is looking really good.

With regard to noisy running locos. When I was building loco kits, which I haven't done for many years now, I always bedded in my gearbox/motor before fitting. Two methods are build gearbox/motor mount, wire up the motor then add a little toothpaste to the worm and run slowly for around 5 mins in each direction. Strip down and clean thoroughly, reassemble and add a little oil or grease then run in either direction at a moderate speed for another 5 mins and repeat as necessary. The other method is to use a little metal polish in place of the toothpaste. I would add a word of caution though and that is to not over do either the amount of metal polish/toothpaste or the speed and length of time running. Its better to do it gently 3 or 4 times than over do it once coz if you over do it then its a new gear set. You need to get the mesh of the gears as close as you can first. Personally I always went with a bit of fag paper between the worm and the worm gear but a bit of kitchen foil will work fine as well. Whatever else you do keep the gunk away from the motor bearings or that will be toast as well, a paper or thin card "washer" pushed onto the motor shaft between the worm and the motor is good for that.

Regards Lez.Z.    

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Well I haven't got round to posting in 7 months but I haven't been completely idle.

Most of the loco fleet is now weathered crewed and lamped.

post-12639-0-56644900-1472771593_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-81791000-1472771614_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-45965000-1472771639_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-27327300-1472771662_thumb.jpg

Also I have been starting on the buildings. None of them finished but coming along.

post-12639-0-62533000-1472771712_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-59653600-1472771731_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-72918400-1472771750_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-23060300-1472771764_thumb.jpg

Sorry as ever about the quality of the photos, one day I will work out how to get better results.

• Like 11

• 7 months later...

I haven't had much time at all this year to make progress on the layout but did have a play around with a nicer camera and photoshop today.
Still not all in focus and the sky is probably a bit much but thought I would pop them up.

post-12639-0-97612400-1491163361_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-76936300-1491163396_thumb.jpg

Messed with the colour of the grass here, not really worked

post-12639-0-97621600-1491163414_thumb.jpg

post-12639-0-37545600-1491163428_thumb.jpg

• Like 14