Which decoder for Bachmann 0n30 2 Truck Shay

Willy

Can someone please recommend a decoder that will fit the Bachmann 0n30 2 Truck Shay? All I want is good motor control and the light function so I don’t require anything sophisticated.

Thank you.

Willy

A basic 8-pin Bachmann decoder (36552) will work perfectly well in there with good speed control and cost about £12 or for a few quid more you can get the more sophisticated 8-pin Lenz Standard (about £17) which allows a lot more "fiddle factor" depending on your DCC system capabilities.

I run a Lenz Gold in mine set to shunting mode and it can creep at a barely perceptible crawl - I love the model.

Thank you Karl, that's good news. The reason I asked was because I was concerned about the apparent lack of space in this particular loco but you have managed to fit a Gold so there should be no problem. I have run DCC for many years now but all my other locos are packed and sent on ahead for a house move and I have no spare decoders available.

Willy

I have pretty much standardised on Gold but that's because I have also thinned out my collection to what I actually run and need rather than what I like and want ;)

It's a bit of a squeeze to get the Gold in but well worth the effort in terms of performance.

I have pretty much standardised on Gold but that's because I have also thinned out my collection to what I actually run and need rather than what I like and want ;)

It's a bit of a squeeze to get the Gold in but well worth the effort in terms of performance.

I have just found an old TCS T1 that no longer works and it fits but only with a long harness, so I was just going to say that you must have used the long harness to squeeze in the Gold!

I do like the Gold and have used it a lot for my HO stock but, as this is a one-off in 0n30, I only want something simple to keep me going over the winter.

Willy

I had a rummage around yesterday and I found TCS T1 that works. I only have a short harness so I cannot tuck it away but it runs beautifully, if a little odd with a decoder on the footplate, so I have ordered a long harness and that should do the trick.

When I get it sorted out I will post a photo for the benefit of others who may be interested.

Thank you again.

Willy

Archived