RTR Locomotives for Shunting Layouts

Also, is there any way how to improve the running of the infamous Hornby 0-4-0s? They are nearly impossible to have for slow runners- and I've got three of the flipping things!

I did read somewhere that someone had put dcc chip into theirs & achieved good slow running; otherwise filling it with 'weight' would be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here for the Bachmann 03. I've owned my example for over one and a half years now, and I've not had one problem in that time! It's very smooth over points, even Hornby's insulfrogs.
For reference, my example is: Cat No. 31-361 D2388 Br Green L/C. This model does have a cab light as well! I picked mine up for £48, not bad really!

I had one of the older Bachman 04s and it hated Peco set-track (ie dead frog) points, stalling every time despite wheel and track cleaning efforts to improve things. Bachmann Panniers seem to be oblivious to the dead frogs and run well on small shunting layouts in my experience. Anyone find that the Hornby Pug is good/poor on dead-frog points?

How is the Bachmann J72 0-6-0? I just bought a second-hand one....

Good when working. It's of an earlier syle of construction that goes under the general heading of 'split chassis'. There are no pick up wipers, the wheels pass the current by direct contact of the stub axles running in the chassis halves. Plastic insulation between the chassis halves and the wheelsets (thus 'split chassis') keeps the rails isolated. Eventually the contact areas need to be cleaned out and very sparingly relubricated. You'll know its time for this when it doesn't start or run reliably, especially at dead slow speed.

• 2 weeks later...

regarding small locos, on SHUNTERS MPD, (see separate thread) we have a large range of small shunting locos, inc:

2 L&Y Hornby Pugs

2Hornby Austerity/J94s

1 Hornby 08 in br green

1 Bachmann Jinty

1 Bachmann 04

and a few other kit built locos of both 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 type

all run brilliantly over our code 100 insulfrog points, we have found that keeping both the track and the wheels and pick ups clean is a must, for reliability

the Hornby L&Y 0-4-0 pugs actually came out as better runners than the 0-6-0s at a recent exhibition, 

Archived