RTR Locomotives for Shunting Layouts

I've been out of the OO gauge scene for a number of years and recently did an impulse purchase of a Hornby Terrier and J94 going cheap from a deceased estate. It appears that the original owner was a collector rather than a modeller and none of the dozens of locomotives in the collection appear to have ever been run.

I was wondering what other locomotives are good slow-running shunters. The impulse purchase is quickly turning into an Inglenook and I'd by interested to know what other locomotives I may acquire in the future, particularly if I take the layout to exhibitions.

The only points I could lay my hands on were Peco Code 100 insulfrog types, so I imagine that 0-6-0s would be preferable to little 0-4-0s. Although, if I obtain one of the 0F pugs, I might permanently couple a shunter's wagon with extra pick-ups just as insurance to smooth running.

Just a personal view, but the recent HO / OO offerings from Electrotren / Hornby, such as the ex-Taff Vale / GWR 0-6-0, or any of the Spanish Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 saddle tanks are able to provide beautiful slow running, & that's over standard Peco code 100 with insulfrog pointwork.

If you don't want the black & red livery, it's simple enough to repaint the chassis, or simply weather them to tone down the rather garish colour.

Another bonus of these particular locos, is that the retail price is under £50 per loco, they are decently detailed, & represent a reasonable investment without breaking the bank.

They are available from a number of retailers, such as Holt Model Railways,  Kernow Model Rail Centre, & Ontracks etc ( no connection, just a satisfied customer ) I got my examples from Warley last month, & they do exactly what they say on the box.

All in all, they are lovely little locos, don't cost a fortune, run slowly like a dream, & will happily handle code 100 rail with insulfrogs.

Hope this is some help, happy inglenook shunting.

Merry Christmas

Regards

Rob

I have a Bachmann Class 08 which runs superbly, at a crawl, over code 100 insulfrog points. My Hornby Jinty is as good a runner but not as quiet.

They both have sprung centre axles, but it's best to make sure the keeper plate isn't screwed down too tightly.

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Bacchy 03 - 3 versions - and 04 - 2 versions - are listed as yet to be delivered in this years programme

Earlier versions not readily available

From our own experiences the current version of the 03 runs very well on DCC - granted our points are electrofrog.

Kind regards

Phil

The Model Rail Sentinel shunter is a very nice loco for small yards.

They still have a few left: http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/page/55/Project_Sentinel

It is an 0-4-0, but it has a heavy chassis and low gearing.

Mine seems pretty sure footed and picks up well so far, even over OO set-track points.

A linked shunters truck or stay-alive DCC chip might help.

Chris

The Bachmann 04 isn't (in my opinion) quite as good a runner as the newer 03, the 08 is a dream though as is the Bachmann 0-6-0 pannier tank. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Hornby Sentinel and having seen one running I agree with Chris that the MR Sentinel would be a suitable option too.

The Bachmann 3F Fowler Jinty is a good model for this type of layout as well.

I know this list seems Bachmann biased but my for my own shunting puzzle I use Kadee couplings and all of the above have easily tweaked NEM coupling boxes that allow me to convert with ease and all take a DCC decoder without undue hassle or tears - I haven't always had the same experience with Hornby models but others may feel differently.

My intention is to fit them all with kadee couplings, but having just learned that Hornby released a GWR shunter's truck, I might use this as a converter wagon.

So the List so far:

Hornby:

Terrier

J94
Sentinel Shunter

Electrotren:

0-6-0 Side Tank

0-6-0 Saddle Tank (looks like the ex-Taff Vale/GWR model with a different paint job)

Bachmann:

3F Jinty

GWR Pannier

03, 04 and 08 Diesels

Model Rail:

Sentinel 0-4-0 VBT

Does anyone have experience with the Bachmann Thomas the Tank Engine models? Whilst I am not planning a "Thomas Layout" as such it might be a nice diversion if there are lots of children around.

I have the Bachmann James model. Had no issues with it on my Peco 100 insulfrog points. 

Bachmann:

... 08 Diesels

The Hornby 08 is more finely detailed than the Bachmann. The first batch had "screaming gears", but all subsequent batches have been superb, crawling-speed shunters. The biggest problem is trying to find them, especially in BR green or blue.

Paul

I would add the Bachmann Junior locos to the list.

They are 0-6-0, with a short wheelbase.

1 diesel, (Rusty) and 1 saddle tank.

The tank engine is very smooth, with great slow

running, I used mine on an experimental layout.

Jeff 

You're looking at the wrong model.

Paul

Ignore the actual numbers, which don't seem to me to be very consistent, and look at the relative Model Rail scores for the quality of the different 08 models (taken from "Britain's Model Trains 2014"):

Bachmann 84%

Hornby 94%

I think you've been looking at the el cheapo Hornby Railroad version, which scores, of course, a miserable 50%, although is about half the price of the others.

Paul

If you want something different and very compact too, then in  HO then the Lilliput Austrian OBB class 2060 0-4-0 is a sweet runner and modestly priced for Euro trains as is the Roco Italian class 214, also a sweet running diminutive 0-4-0...

One of the better Uk ones is the Hornby class 08.

Just acquired a Hornby Pug for about half the price of a new one. I think one or two more would be all I need to acquire. In reality I'm marking time until the O gauge terrier comes out. I'm rather fond of them and would like to own a couple. Perhaps even modify one to represent the Australian versions.

The Bachmann 04 isn't (in my opinion) quite as good a runner as the newer 03, 

Agreed.  I had an original 03 from ebay and it hobbled along, back on ebay and cut some of my losses.  At the recent Folkestone exhibition I picked up a black 04 body.  Oversized moulded handrails, but they were sliced off.  On the strength of that I thought, 'new 03, better runner, just swap body'.  When in the local hobby shop I test ran an 03, superb.  Got it home and discovered the body won't swap, the new 03 had a cast metal footplate for extra weight and the body is screwed to it (very clever).  To cut a long story short the 03 is excellent

In reality I'm marking time until the O gauge terrier comes out. I'm rather fond of them and would like to own a couple. Perhaps even modify one to represent the Australian versions.

You & several hundred others no doubt, me included.

Aside from the various RTR models, always worth keeping an eye on EBay and at exhibitions for any kit built bargains. In the last year I've acquired a Judith Edge Hunslet 0-6-0 diesel, a scaled Hornby BR 06 body on a brass chassis and an Impetus Ruston 48DS, all for sums comparable with equivalent to RTR models. Running qualities of all three are superb with double reduction gearing on the 0-4-0s.

I have a terrier and I was very surprised how good it was despite how old the tooling is. Does anyone know if there are any other SR shunters/tanks around? I don't really want to resort to having a tender loco on my micro layout...there wouldn't be any room for wagons!

Also, is there any way how to improve the running of the infamous Hornby 0-4-0s? They are nearly impossible to have for slow runners- and I've got three of the flipping things!

The only one that springs to mind is the Hornby E2 0-6-0 tank. This appeared in several liveries although the Southern ones fall into the collectors categories and can have high asking prices. It is not uncommon to find them at shows and toy fairs repainted into BR black. The Hornby Thomas is also based on this molding although you would need to replace the smoke box face.  

Archived