Base Toys

Retired examples would have made great transport for bands on the 'toilet venue' circuit. Beats the transit MkIs made infamous in the title of MEGA CITY 4's first LP 'Tranzophobia,' THE STRANGLERS' converted ice-cream van, and the countless ambulances of yore. That thought's actually got me hooked now...

Retired examples would have made great transport for bands on the 'toilet venue' circuit. Beats the transit MkIs made infamous in the title of MEGA CITY 4's first LP 'Tranzophobia,' THE STRANGLERS' converted ice-cream van, and the countless ambulances of yore. That thought's actually got me hooked now...

They were also much in evidence among the 'hippy traveller'/'peace convoy' community in the '80s, which might make a nice little cameo, if you're that way inclined :)

Kevin

This kind of thing?

http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?s=60 for even more!

Yep, that's where I found most of the FG photos I've seen. Unfortunately, most of my mates who were into that sort of thing only had fairly boring vehicles, although there were a couple of little Bedford J2 coaches that were quite characterful :).

Kevin

Hi Gang,

I was at the Toy & Hobby trade fair today and one of the stalls had a pre-pro Base Toys D82 FG Crewbus. Please note this is a pre-pro and as such there are faults both deliberate and accidental, things to note are that the wheelbase is shorter than it should be, but bear in mind that all Base Toys trucks are made to fit a small number of chassis', so the wheelbase is a compromise, additionally, the rubbing strip is not straight, this will be sorted before production, what do you RMWebbers think? The crew area features full seating, the first version will be in Yellow with Green to follow.

I personally think it looks the part!

Thats all for now.

Kev

I thought it may be prudent to see the rear end as well.

post-6974-126823601302_thumb.jpg

The Noddy Van at the end of this link is something else as well:

http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?p=1375

The distrust between old school punks and crusties was such that we tended to avoid looking at this genre of vehicle at the turn of the nineties, but it seems that we missed a few classic railway affiliates along the way! Thanks for posting the link.

• 2 months later...
They were also much in evidence among the 'hippy traveller'/'peace convoy' community in the '80s, which might make a nice little cameo, if you're that way inclined

Wonder if anyone will restore one of these FG 's back into its BR livery,don't think there is one on the circuit at the present .

Wonder if anyone will restore one of these FG 's back into its BR livery,don't think there is one on the circuit at the present .

my father in law has an fg under resoration, keep trying to get him to paint it yellow but to no avail, its a flat back one with wooden sides like base toys earlier release. were would he get the br arrow sticker from?

There was one at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley about 10 years ago. They have since built a shed to house road vehicles, but when I visited recently I could not find it and nobody knew of the whareabouts.

Steel bodywork is the reason so few survived.

post-1625-127601159953_thumb.jpg

Merfyn.

There was one at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley about 10 years ago. They have since built a shed to house road vehicles, but when I visited recently I could not find it and nobody knew of the whareabouts.

Steel bodywork is the reason so few survived.

post-1625-127601159953_thumb.jpg

Merfyn.

I may be going around the twist, but I am sure that one of the mainstream classic commercial magazines has got one for sale in the classifieds, I'll have to take another look next time I am in the local library (WHSmiths!)

I may be going around the twist, but I am sure that one of the mainstream classic commercial magazines has got for sale in the classifieds, I'll have to take another look next time I am in the local library (WHSmiths!)

Sounds good news, would like to see that.

Merfyn.

• 9 months later...

]

In addition to Kev's notes, the slopeing doors and the incorrect body shape above the windscreen are being corrected.

Not bad at 7 quid. I think the finished job will please most people.

post-1625-12680437288_thumb.jpg

Merfyn.

Hi

Re FG crewbus photo HTO983N

Do you know when and where it was taken?

Hi

Re FG crewbus photo HTO983N

Do you know when and where it was taken?

It is on Llandudno station after withdrawl, awaiting disposal. About 1986 I think. It was formerly used by the Llanrwst PWay gang on the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch.

Merfyn.

Archived