What glue to use?

Hi there, just picked up a new Hornby Sentinel! What a model! :locomotive: Only one problem. One of the wind scene wipers came off. I am think about gluing it back on, have had a very troubled past will gluing parts back on models. Frosting is the worst and have ruined part of my ltd edition Class 60 due to this and don't want to make the same mistake again! :scared: The wiper in a very precarious place and very hard to position, right next to the window (obvious, but prone to frosting) and the beautiful livery of the model. 

Just want to know what glues are safe and not messy. Would like to attend a repair, but if not I think I will take it back to the shop, just to be on the safe side. :scratchhead:  

Any subjections?

If you have models with the glazing spoiled by fogging, a careful application of some gloss varnish can sometimes restore their clarity. Johnsons Klear is good for this if you can find some.

Thanks for the advice on repairs! The frosting damaged on the Class 60 is on the buffer beam and snow plough though, so now way to correct that?

If you use a solvent such as Mekpak, Plastic Weld or Liquid Poly, it will stick it, but it might melt it. Normal super glue will cause frosting due to fumes. I recommend Hafixs super glue because it is solvent based rather than water based, so won't cause frosting. It also produces an immensely strong bond.

http://www.hafixs.co.uk/

Thanks for the heads up mate! Still a bit sceptical about doing this, with the Sentinel be bare plastic (not painted) and the glazing being so close. Are you sure it will not melt or frost?

Thanks for the heads up mate! Still a bit sceptical about doing this, with the Sentinel be bare plastic (not painted) and the glazing being so close. Are you sure it will not melt or frost?

One of the selling points of Hafixs is the lack of vapour.. I have used it near glazing without an issue, but if you're not sure, do a trial run with a test piece first. You can buy superglue remover from them anyway.

One of the selling points of Hafixs is the lack of vapour.. I have used it near glazing without an issue, but if you're not sure, do a trial run with a test piece first. You can buy superglue remover from them anyway.

Thanks again, where can I get it from? Will ask the ship first and the owner loves his kits, so he might be able to help put it back on. It is in a very, very hard to reach place, so would not like to attempt it myself! :declare:

Archived