The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

"Brown Trousers" ?

shortliner

What amazes me is that the propellor on the Avenger is unscathed; the other plane must have the structural stregth of a Reliant Robin..

That damage is really what you ought to expect - fuselage has to be very thin and light or the plane won't fly. The propellor has to be very strong or it will not take the thrust, torque or centrfugal forces from high rpm. Pretty much every picture I have seen on the 'net of a similar propellor/fuselage conflict has the same result regardless of the type of 'planes involved.

• RMweb Gold

What amazes me is that the propellor on the Avenger is unscathed; the other plane must have the structural stregth of a Reliant Robin..

The front looks a bit like one too.

Had this as an email

A good reason for doing "S-Turns" while taxying. 

Just 12 more inches to the pilot's head.

Must have scared the c**p out of that RV8 pilot.

attachicon.gifimage002.jpg

attachicon.gifimage001.jpg

The passenger in the Vans - it was an RV-6 - was killed!

This was the incident that took place at Oshkosh on July 30, 2006. The RV-6 was C-FNQP, and the Grumman Avenger was N420GP. 

A totally unnecessary waste of someone's life and frankly allowing large taildraggers to taxi in a stop go situation like that immediately behind much smaller aircraft is an accident waiting to happen and this time it did.

The full narrative is available from the NTSB  http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20060804X01093&key=1   but the EAA who run the annual Oshkosh event must surely have reviewed their procedures.

The NTSB determined that the probable cause(s) of this accident was that "The Avenger pilot's visual lookout was indequate and he failed to maintain clearance from the RV-6."

The pilot of the Avenger said that he'd never seen the RV-6 and thought the aircraft in front of it was the closest aircraft. You're quite right about the importance of S turns. He claimed he had but witnesses said he hadn't and tests carried out after the accident showed that had he made even ten degree S turns he would have seen the RV-6  

The majority of the ally sheet in an aircraft like the RV is of the order of .020" thick. You can cut it with a Stanley knife if you really want to.

Archived