American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

You've found a good example Jack. A compact layout is possible in O scale.

A friend of mine who live in a flat, who haven't space for trains has built a O scale layout. The size is only 8 foot x 20 inches + a small yard.

With only 2 turnouts, he can have nice playtime. He is attached to make all by himself and add a lot of details.

So O scale layouts can be very small.

I stop to flood Jordan ;)

Edited by JAMO

For people worrying about space needed for O Gauge, and needing very little scenery, locos, or rolling stock - take a look at http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/15624 2 x 72" x 24" boards and an 18" fiddle-stick

I've seen this layout twice at the March Meet, and was impressed - it's the inspiration for a couple of my planned projects (in US O and N.)

• Like 1

:O I say, steady on!! :O I take it something's gone awry with the translation from Francais there!! :D

I have an O scale layout that is only 5ft long in total. :yes: but it is UK-outline, so short locos & stock. :rolleyes:

Only a flood of words :)  :D

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 1

Northroader you crease me up!! :declare: :lol: ...although I do wonder- what is the proper American term for "HO s*d off"..?? ;)

Having read through the Thread Jack linked to, I'm sure the builder, Damin Keenan, is a member here, too.

"HO, f### off."

And in Canada:

"HO, f### off, eh?"

• 2 months later...

More progress with track laying :yes: :D

...... we're on the long straight main line past the freight branch spurs. Keen eyed viewers will note the rail (singular) coming from the opposite end, and the short gap to be filled in between. I have been laying the rail from both ends of the layout, but these rails aren't spiked yet.

20170204_205558_zpselzzwqxd.jpg

More slow progress... this evening I have completed spiking the 'inner' rail shown above & wiring it's droppers to the DCC Bus. :D

Just 4 rail sections to spike & wire for the 'outer' rail & the full oval will be complete, & ready to run trains :dance: :locomotive:

• Like 6

Looking along the length of that, everything looks LEVEL!!! What's the game, eh?

Ah, well - this is meant to be the Main Line, although still a secondary branch hence Code 125 rather than 148 rail, so I did want it to look better than the industrial spurs ;) and show I can lay straight track if I really try hard :D ...but if it helps, I promise you that it's still not perfectly level :blush:

Fear not; normal service will be resumed when I lay the final siding on the other side :yes:

I will do a video once the oval is complete; sans scenery you'll all need to use your imaginations somewhat.!!

• Like 2

To calm Northroader's worries - the main line isn't quite level & straight...
post-704-0-39673700-1502830547_thumb.jpg

Although compared to the industrial tracks :D :mosking: ...

post-704-0-27311100-1502830641_thumb.jpg

...and the start of the branch, off the main...
post-704-0-76083300-1502830589_thumb.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 13

BRONZE SPIKE DAY

Well, it was last night, actually :rolleyes: but yes, a major milestone was reached with the completion of the mainline oval around the layout   :yahoo:  :thankyou:

Not every spike or tie-plate is in place (hence only a "Bronze spike" moment), some rails still need wiring to the bus, but trains chased their tails yesterday successfully in both directions.  :locomotive:

I now need to tidy things up somewhat before doing a video, and move on to the last section of track to lay, the siding off the main at the Interchange. 

Happy days!!  :sungum:

• Like 9