colour light signals control on dcc

hi guys

searched everywhere for an answer but with no luck so help is needed.

i'm thinking of using either eckon or traintronics 3 aspect signals on my newly built dcc layout but i'm struggling to think how to wire them up to an Hornby dcc system. I just want to be to operate them from the dcc controller and not via point postion or anything else.

How to get to control them or wire them ? any help/assistance greatly appreciated

kindest regards

justin

hi guys

searched everywhere for an answer but with no luck so help is needed.

i'm thinking of using either eckon or traintronics 3 aspect signals on my newly built dcc layout but i'm struggling to think how to wire them up to an Hornby dcc system. I just want to be to operate them from the dcc controller and not via point postion or anything else.

How to get to control them or wire them ? any help/assistance greatly appreciated

kindest regards

justin

Hi Justin, I have managed to get some Eckon Shunt signals to operate of off loco decoders (TCS T1 and Lenz Silvers, I do not know whether other types of decoder will work)- connect the red and black power wires to your power bus and then connect the signal aspects onto the lighting output i.e. common blue, and then white and yellow to each of the aspects (Do not forget to connect your resistors on to the white and yellow wires for LED's)you can then call up the decoder the same as you would a loco and then you use the direction control to change the aspect. This will only work for two aspect signals. I think that there is a polarity difference with Traintronic signals as I cannot get them to work in the same way. I am in no way an expert in this stuff, I found out the above by experimenting I hope that it is of help.

Regards

Kevin

If you are able to wire up the LEDs as in the following diagram you will be able to control a three aspect from the white and yellow wires of a loco decoder:-

post-7495-12640694500247_thumb.gif

If your loco decoder does not have a Black/White wire (most don't) you can use a spare function wire that is always on or find a 0V connection on the decoder (you can usually solder a wire to one of the anodes of the main diodes).

Operation is simply F0 off = yellow, F0 on forwards = red, Fo on reverse = green.

If you have a searchlight signal with a tricolour common cathode LED the wiring is even easier but operation is the same.

post-7495-12640702991391_thumb.gif

This is one thing I've been pondering for a while and I thank you for answering the question and for Suzie for answering it so simply!

Maplin have 1N4148 diodes listed at 24p each.

Assume if your signal is 12v you don't need the resistors?

The resistors are vital. Value can be adjusted to suit the brightness that you require from the LEDs but they must be fitted regardless of the voltage being used.

I am not familiar with either Eckon or Traintronics signals specifically but if they come with resistors they will have to be rewired in accordance with my diagrams.

Pretty much any diodes will do, but 1N4148 should be the cheapest.

How would one go about wiring up a Traintronics 113 - which is a 3 aspect signal with feather?

I can figure out - if I get to Maplin tomorrow - following your diode diagram above to light the three aspect part, but I'm not quite sure how to add in the feather.

I would assume an easy way would be to have an accessory switch on a Peco point motor to decide whether the route is set for feather illumination or not, but obviously it wouldn't want to illuminate the feather if the route was set but the signal showing a red aspect.

How would one go about wiring up a Traintronics 113 - which is a 3 aspect signal with feather?

I can figure out - if I get to Maplin tomorrow - following your diode diagram above to light the three aspect part, but I'm not quite sure how to add in the feather.

I would assume an easy way would be to have an accessory switch on a Peco point motor to decide whether the route is set for feather illumination or not, but obviously it wouldn't want to illuminate the feather if the route was set but the signal showing a red aspect.

Try this one! I will reiterate that I have no specific experience with Traintronics signals and expect that they will possibly need a bit of rewiring.

post-7495-12648864933152_thumb.gif

This is all getting a bit complex now, but you can quite easily extend it to a few more feathers if you are being keen with a bit more complex switching. The PL15 switch should be attached to the point that sets the route. This method works because the output that drives the red signal LED effectively shorts out the feather in the same way that it extinguishes the yellow LED (which is also extinguished when green is showing).

Silly question, and apologies for asking it, but how many functions does the decoder need to be able to do this with a 3 aspect signal as above?

I assume that a cheap, basic decoder (with the right functions) is perfectly adequate for the job, like the Hornby or Bachmann ones?

You need a two function decoder and pretty much all decoders have that now - any decoder that has a red, black, blue, yellow and white wire should do it. I think that the TCS FL2 will probably be the cheapest and some TCS decoders come with a black/white wire which will make installation much easier.

Function decoders should be cheaper because they are a loco decoder with some bits left off! The Bachmann 36-552 will be fine for the job if you don't mind adding your own black/white wire (avoid the 36-553 which I consider to be not as good. PM me if you want the details of its shortcomings).

You used to be able to get the TCS FL2 for about ??25 for a pack of five, but they may be a bit dearer now.

• RMweb Gold

Function decoders should be cheaper because they are a loco decoder with some bits left off! The Bachmann 36-552 will be fine for the job if you don't mind adding your own black/white wire (avoid the 36-553 which I consider to be not as good. PM me if you want the details of its shortcomings).

You used to be able to get the TCS FL2 for about ??25 for a pack of five, but they may be a bit dearer now.

DCC Supplies prices for TCS-FL2 are 12.53 each or 56.67 for a pack of 5. Hornby R8249 are 8.00 each from Hatton's, for example. Why they are that much more expensive I don't really understand.

Archived