CV6 value in Lenz decoders

250BOB

Hi Guys.,

If I have max speed CV5 set at say 250........to give me a near straight line acceleration and deceleration I would set CV6 at 125

If however, I set max speed CV5 very low, say 50........would I leave CV6 at 125, which is still approx the mid point of the range 0 to 255

Or....should I adjust the CV6 value to half that of CV5, i.e. 25.

I'm forever confused with Cv6....so any help appreciated.

Thanks....Bob.

Bob,

If you leave CV6 at 125, I think you will find that the loco accelerates up to that setting by about half way and then slows down as you increase speed steps further.  If you want to see what happens, try it - it won't do any harm and you can change the CVs again afterwards as Ian suggests.

Harold.. 

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

If you leave CV6 at 125, I think you will find that the loco accelerates up to that setting by about half way and then slows down as you increase speed steps further.  If you want to see what happens, try it - it won't do any harm and you can change the CVs again afterwards as Ian suggests.

Harold.. 

That might explain a problem I had recently where a Bachmann 2-EPB accelerated up to around 50 mph, but as I increased the speed steps it slowed down.  By speed step 126 it was down to walking pace. A decoder reset fixed it, but it looks like I may have messed up CV6! It was a Hornby Sapphire rather than a Lenz but I assume the effect is the same regardless of decoder make.

You should find any decoder accepts CV6 it is a very important CV one that should not be overlooked.

its easy to set it. this is how I do it.

Once you are satisfied with you top speed in CV5  Divide this value by 100. then  X  by the % you wish to enter.

So if your top speed is, IE. 120 then 40% of that will be 48. this is the value for CV6.

This value is a matter of personal choice.

I keep a log of all my Locos. The decoder type. Plus all the CV settings that have been applied to a particular loco.

Remember also that a new Loco may at some time need CV changing as the Loco will loosen up with more use.

So keeping a record saves having to read back the decoder. Regards.

Archived