Dapol Light Bars Fault

MRDEEDIESEL

Hi, Parked my light bar fitted rake of loco hauled mk 3's in one of my sidings and left the power on for approx 20-30 min. Later i shunted the rake out onto the mainline and coupled up to a loco and the train suddenly went dead with the my controller's lights going red.Cue a burning smell (resembling TCP!)and nothing.Once the carriages had been removed the loco/track performed perfectly however on handling one of my coaches i noted that the roof had "bubbled and melted" with heat!!!Inside the plastic was also melted.

Has this been a problem noted before and is there anything i can do to prevent this happening again as the roof is gubbed??(not sure if Dapol would provide a replacement?).I have currently removed all the bars from my Mk3's.

Any advice appreciated as i was not expecting a carriage to go up in smoke!!

Really like the bars but as with all Dapol engineering, it is very very delicate. I have had light bars fail soon after purchase, (got replacement with no quibbles from the fantastic Kent Garden Railways in Orpington) but have run a rake with lights in successfully for near on a year.

Better luck next time - as I said, my experience is 80% good.

Archived