Help with DCC sound.

Multiple identity account 2

Hi,

I need a little help regarding DCC sound. Since I design and make my own model (Indian ones) I thought it would be nice to add sounds too. The thing is that I don't know much about DCC sound. My models will be using BullAnt motor bogies and my plan is to use a 8/21-pin Hornby DCC chip. I want to hardwire the chip to the motor. Is that ok and how do I connect the speaker to the DCC chip? Ive made a rough sketch of what I think is my plan and how it should be. I am completely new to all this.

To me this is basically what I have in mind for my finished model:-
- Hardwire a 8 or 21-pin Hornby decoder to the motor bogie
- Connect the speaker to the DCC chip.

Is that how it should be or do I need another chip for DCC sound?

Would appreciate any advice on this topic.

Regards,
J

post-15929-0-51180400-1388493557_thumb.jpg

Your sounds are contained on the DCC chip/decoder. Unfortunately the Hornby decoders are just for motive power and functions like lights. They contain no sound samples.

You would need to hard wire a chip with sounds, something like ESU, Zimo or some other European brand. Sorry I'm not very knowledgable on all makes that are available.

Regards,

Mark

Currently available Hornby brand decoders do not have sound capability. This may change during the coming year, see  Hornby TTS sound. If they become available separately they will be 8 pin connector type. You will not be able to add your own sounds.

Sound-programmable decoders (which also run your motor) are available from Digitrax, ESU and ZIMO. Depending on your loco types, you might find that some US sound decoders will fit your requirements. These are generally less expensive but you cannot load your own sounds.

I would not recommend Digitrax, even in their latest format.

In the UK, Digitrax latest series cost around GBP55, ESU with British loco sounds pre-loaded for between GBP96 and GBP117 depending upon the supplier.

ZIMO sound decoders with British loco sounds pre-loaded from www.digitrain.co.uk cost GBP82.50, but they will deduct 20% (GB VAT) of that for export orders outside the EU, which India is.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi

Just a thought......

Buying a sound decoder is all very well as described, but....  have you got samples of the engine sounds you want to add to them? or can you identify similar locos with sounds you could use that are close enough?

Hi

Just a thought......

Buying a sound decoder is all very well as described, but....  have you got samples of the engine sounds you want to add to them? or can you identify similar locos with sounds you could use that are close enough?

Hi Kal,

As a matter of fact I do have close matches for the sound files I only need the horns changed and Legomanbiffo has told me that he will help me with it.

These are the following locos that I am making and the sound files need for them

WDS-6 and YDM-4 -  ALCo C628/Class 37 (need the horns changed)

WDP-4/B and WDG-4 - Class 66 (need the horns changed)

WDM-2/3A, WDM-3D and WDG-3A - OSE A-456 (need the horns changed)

WAM-4/P-4, WAP/G-7 and WAG-9 - Class 90 (need the fuel tank popping sound removed and horns changed)

I just need to source them and have the horns changed (certain sounds omitted for electrics)

Cheers!

The Sound Decoder will work the sounds & the locomotive, look at www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo/videos for examples of UK Sound projects available on ESU Decoders.

Charllie

Your sounds are contained on the DCC chip/decoder. Unfortunately the Hornby decoders are just for motive power and functions like lights. They contain no sound samples.

You would need to hard wire a chip with sounds, something like ESU, Zimo or some other European brand. Sorry I'm not very knowledgable on all makes that are available.

Regards,

Mark

Currently available Hornby brand decoders do not have sound capability. This may change during the coming year, see  Hornby TTS sound. If they become available separately they will be 8 pin connector type. You will not be able to add your own sounds.

Sound-programmable decoders (which also run your motor) are available from Digitrax, ESU and ZIMO. Depending on your loco types, you might find that some US sound decoders will fit your requirements. These are generally less expensive but you cannot load your own sounds.

I would not recommend Digitrax, even in their latest format.

In the UK, Digitrax latest series cost around GBP55, ESU with British loco sounds pre-loaded for between GBP96 and GBP117 depending upon the supplier.

ZIMO sound decoders with British loco sounds pre-loaded from www.digitrain.co.uk cost GBP82.50, but they will deduct 20% (GB VAT) of that for export orders outside the EU, which India is.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks guys for your information.

I may have to go for a few different companies as I need sounds from ALCo, EMD and Brush locomotives. If one manufacturer can supply me with sounds from a C628, A-456, Class 66 and Class 90 then I shall be a happy chappy! I saw a video on youtube of a sound fitted OSE A-456 but can't find sound decoders for them anywhere online. Any info related to that is much appreciated. :)

Archived