Hornby County 4-4-0 ringfield motors

richard-g8jvm

I suspect the ringfield motor on the tender driven loco has either de-maged or the armature

has shorted turns, as when running has very little torque and runs hot,

Anyone know if spares are available for this , or is it a re-build the tender drive ???

TIA

Richard

Sounds like a need for a re-mag rather than a faulty armature.  I am not aware of spare magnets, but I know that there are some folk on this forum with re-mag equipment, as I have had some X04s re-mag'd, and I guess that a Ringfield could be done as well.

Hi Simon

I'll strip down the motor and see how easy it is to get to the magnet, its shape make it awkward to re-mag the way I normally do it

by attaching it to a very strong magnet then close the field with a keeper and leave it for a while..

Richard

You cannot remagnetise ferrite magnets as used in Hornby ringfield motors. Peters Spares do sell ringfield motor housings, which come with the magnet  (common to all ringfields), at around £2.50 plus postage. The magnet has to be very carefully prised out, otherwise it will shatter. Some of the older ringfield housings have locating lugs for the magnet, if these are present, then they can be carefully removed by hand with an engineering scraper. 

You cannot remagnetise ferrite magnets as used in Hornby ringfield motors. Peters Spares do sell ringfield motor housings, which come with the magnet  (common to all ringfields), at around £2.50 plus postage. The magnet has to be very carefully prised out, otherwise it will shatter. Some of the older ringfield housings have locating lugs for the magnet, if these are present, then they can be carefully removed by hand with an engineering scraper. 

Hornby Ringfields CAN be remagnetised. Done many in my days as a Hornby service agent; I still have the remag machine if anybody wants one done. (NEVER remove the magnet though as it will lose magnetism),

Stewart

Hornby Ringfields CAN be remagnetised. Done many in my days as a Hornby service agent; I still have the remag machine if anybody wants one done. (NEVER remove the magnet though as it will lose magnetism),

Stewart

It was Stewart who kindly did the X04 remags for me some time ago - I can recommend his offer to do a remag.

Archived