Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Element of Surprise

• RMweb Premium

'Back in the day' I used to see pictures of completed models in magazines and go 'wow' at seeing the finished model in all it's glory. Nowadays with the internet, blogging, unprecedented mobile access to forums etc, does everyone want to see frequent updates of models during construction, or wait until they are finished, for maximum impact? Does it spoil the halo effect seeing a model during the building and the mistakes along the way?

It seems a tough balance - I've always disliked showing my models half-finished and love the thrill of unveiling something totally new, but is this an outdated approach in today's hobby?

Cheers

James

I don't think so, largely because model building is changing, e.g. the work done on brass kits and others, especially the Silhouette cameo thread by uax6 on coaches. To see the techniques used is often very instructive. I wouldn't want to see every possible boring step, but enough information to enable the viewer to comprehend and appreciate the techniques used.  

Dennis

Hi,

Personally, I quite like seeing the finished model and then learning how it was built, but of course there are some models that have the wow factor before they are completed, Colin Parks Scratch-built EMUs are an example!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

It's not easy to strike a balance - do you want to post as though you're thinking aloud all the time or wait until you've completed the project?

I'd rather post something when I've reached a certain milestone in the construction of a layout or kit with some explanation of how I've approached the problem, especially if it appears novel, and how I've solved it.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst not a surprise, every visit to Ron Heggs page is a Wow every time, similarly, the cameo based on Woodhams yard was definitely a Wow.

I like to see the construction on here, as it is often skimmed over in the magazines.

The Q

When viewing other peoples modelling efforts or accomplishments, I really prefer to see how they did it with the final product at the end. There are so many methods/tips/tricks in this hobby that every thread on here teaches me something new, and I thank the members who take the time to share their ways.

As for posting my own modelling, I tend to post on my thread what I think in my mind. Not because it might interest other people (it won't!) but because it helps me and my mental health issues, and gives me a 'fantasy world' of my own making to go back to. People are free to read it or completely ignore it, it's their choice. But if my thread on my layout helps anyone in any way then for me it's achieved something, and this hobby is all about accomplishment of one kind or another.

Mark

Always step by step and the more detailed the better - especially with difficult kits explaining the tricks and tips to avoid the pitfalls. I would even go as far as to say I am really not that interested in the finished (whatever that might be) model.

I have this insatiable desire to learn how it was done, how it is put together, that is what makes my day. A finished model in all its glory might as well be straight from some manufacturer's red or blue box.

I am one who really hates surprises in all areas of life so I don't like the "and now I will pull something from a hat" or "I prepared this one earlier". Show me how it was prepared. It is the difference between being helpful and simply showing off.

I love to dip in and out of construction threads to see what someone has achieved lately and more importantly, how they achieved it.

I have learned so much over the years on here that way and I also think that for those people who are building the layouts it might be an excellent prompt or way of preventing "builders block" when those of us who become embroiled in their progress enquire after updates if things sometimes go quiet.

As long as the comments posted are supportive, or at worst positive critique, then I hope everyone concerned has a positive experience.

I know magazines have limited space when they show layouts but now and again I have found myself desperately wanting to know more about how an effect was achieved or the thought process behind it - not something we suffer here on RMWeb due to our ability to ask and interact with the design and build processes.

Archived