Bromley Common: NSE era APA box layout.

Stevethomas6444

Good Morning!

Having looked at layouts built inside Ikea's APA storage box, it has inspired me to do one of my own. In fact I have planned to build three this year! The first, of course is Bromley Common which will be set in Bromley during the NSE era. BR(S)'s layout, Bromley North being one of many inspirations for this. 

Bromley Common will be a 2 platform terminus with a siding for stabling rolling stock. Given the fact that it is going to be in quite a small area I will make the station look bigger than it actually is although it will only just about cater for a 2 car EMU. Construction will start next week when the APA box gets delivered and looking forward to the challenge of building a much smaller layout :)

I chose Bromley for location as it was a well known area to me when I was growing up in SE London in the 1990's and early 2000's. Plus I have buses suited for the area and era chosen which is even more reason to go with it :) 

IMG_0023+(Copy).JPG

Some work was done getting vital things ready over the past few days while I'm waiting for the delivery of the APA box :)

I have assembled the platform and weathered the edging before placing it on the layout - A lesson I didn't really learn when I was building Chalk Lane...  :scratchhead: I am also at the process of weathering the rails using Humbrol rust coloured paint, I was about to give Railmatch Sleeper Grime spray a go but the cans are a tad too pricey for the little use they'll have. I also went to the local model shop yesterday to get some packs of Ratio's concrete fencing kit, ballast and some traffic cones (Only had a tenner to spend!).

Cannot wait to start building Bromley Common! 

I have a soft spot for Bromley, having gone to school briefly in the 1960s in Petts Wood, where my grandparents lived.

I'll look forward to seeing this develop. You could have chosen a lot worse than Bromley North as your inspiration!! :)

Construction started today very quickly after the delivery from Ikea. The APA Storage Box is quick and easy to build although I had to construct a platform to raise the layout to the same level as the lower box edges. I did miscalculate the size inside the box so a small section of the track and platform is sticking out the edge but this is only 0.5cm off. 

In the space of a few hours I have laid the track and platform and already it is looking good. Still a lot of work to do but I can see this being a nice, easy, quick and cheap layout :) And no for some photo's....

The finished APA box, it only took 10mins to build and was quite easy! :)

IMG_0083+(Copy).JPG

Bromley Common as it is now.

IMG_0087+(Copy).JPG

From above.

IMG_0088+(Copy).JPG

And from the fiddle yard end. 

IMG_0089+(Copy).JPG

Little progress today as I wasn't in my modelling mood today. I did decide to get some photographs with the stock :) 

466031 rests at the stabling siding waiting for it's next duty.

IMG_0091+(Copy).JPG

All 3 of my NSE stock pose at Bromley Common.

IMG_0095+(Copy).JPG

Platform view before the canopy gets added. 466031 is still resting, 6238 is on platform 1 having just arrived and 50045 can be seen in the distance on platform 2.

IMG_0097+(Copy).JPG

• RMweb Premium

Looks good, been wondering about something similar lately, but with a Northern theme.  Just one small thing though - in your first picture, the wipers on your Optare MetroRider are on the wrong windscreens, they should sit the same as on the Networker...

Looking forward to seeing your progress,

JD

• RMweb Premium

I liked chalk lane and this looks good

I have an apa stashed away with a view to a future micro so loads of inspiration here

I agree with Dover David about the sleepers , a quick coat of sleeper grime or similar will look a treat, but then I love urban grunge

Chalk lane on steroids(Low dosage)! I also have an APA box tucked away for a similar idea based on Scottish region 1980's. The idea of just the end of the platforms is a great idea, as you can run full length trains without showing a full train. I was thinking of running my three Shove Duffs with a single MK3 or Mk2 Scotrail coach as they'd do much they same as a DMU, no runround, no shunt release. 

A bit of Rail grime paint, with a sprinkle of ballast and some urban grot next?

Thanks for your kind comments :) 

The sleepers on the track doesn't really have the shine anymore but I guess that's because they were used in previous mothballed projects where they got as far as being ballasted then ripped up. Plus to keep the layout on a budget and by what I mean the bare minimum of spending (No more Hattons orders, just the local model shop visits) I couldn't find the railmatch sleeper grime for less than a tenner  :scratchhead:

JDW - You're right, the windscreen wipers on the MetroRider shouldn't be like the way they are on the Britbus model. I could maybe sort them out in the near future :) 

Progress on Bromley Common so far: 

Road has been painted on and I made a start on the concrete fencing (I'm sure I mentioned this before?) but I need to get better superglue as the bottle I have just leaks everywhere :no2: Once the wall has been put up then I can add the self adhesive paving. It's progress, honestly!  :P

Hi Steve, sorry I have googled it and found the answer, what a great idea, I am passing the Warrington shop next week, for £11.00 they are an absolute bargain, now then my thoughts of something Llanwrst"esque" will be coming to fruition now me thinks.

Assembled size
Length: 70 cm
Depth: 36 cm
Height: 29 cm

Thanks for the inspiration.

Happy Modelling
Craig.

It's a good little size and inside you can fit in a standard quad straight track with some room to spare although in N gauge you could fit in a lot more! :) 

Finished most of the ballasting yesterday which was a VERY tedious task. I did try out a new trick by adding green scatter on the tracks just after applying the glue and so far it looks great :) Only problem is now that it is taking an age to fully set because the conservatory/railway room is quite cold. 

I have also made a start on the bus stands/road and aiming to get some Modelscene bus shelters for this, road markings will be added as well but I think that should be left until last.

Thanks Lee :) 

I am taking a little break with building Bromley Common as money and inspiration is at a low point at the moment, the ballasting phase was far too tedious this time round!  :scratchhead: Although all is not lost as I have been looking up canopy designs that are relatively modern and should be simple enough to build with balsa wood. I have even considered adding working lights! 

Hi Steve, looking great, just as an aside about the APA boxes, I called into Ikea Warrington last week as I was passing, and they sold out of these boxes, but I will be passing again this week, and they are showing 69 in stock, so I am hoping to pick up 4 for another modular project I have planned.

Happy modelling

Craig.

HI Steve

I enjoyed Chalk Lane and will be watching this one with interest. I'm part way through a similar APA box project and have discovered that you can remove the top bar at the front to improve the sightlines and the box is plenty strong enough not to miss it. However, if you glue the top bar to the front panel the whole front can then be slid back in to close up the layout for storage.

See here:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73735-riverside/&do=findComment&comment=1090924

Cheers

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Archived