7 Years Old NCE + ESU Micro Issues?

charliepetty

Using a NCE (7 Years old) to reprogram and operate a Micro V4. I have tried twice to alter the default address to 1447, screen says 'Not Recognised' the third attempt it did, but after running for a short time (15 Minutes) it would only rev up, all sounds worked but no movement.  The address has reverted back to 0003 Default Setting.

This has been tried again with a new micro decoder with exactly the same results.

Any thoughts please re a 7 year old NCE + V4 Micro.

Charlie  

Hi Charlie,

What version eeprom has it?

Ian

Its not my system but the guy I am trying to help out states:

Is it the software were you take the back off the hand held controller. Let me know were to find this number and will check it out and get back. 

When the system first starts up (when you turn the power on) the cab readout should give the version number. The most likely numbers to look for would be 1.10 or 1.28, but there could be something slightly different again.

V1.3 in answer to your question. Also had the backs off both controllers, don't know if this signifies anything but the numbers and letters are :-

Controller 1, the original DMC 16202

NY-LY-E-BH

0464E2-BO

Controller 2, purchased about 2/3 months ago:- AMC 1602 GR-

B-Y6NFDY-SP

M121202-1

When the system first starts up (when you turn the power on) the cab readout should give the version number. The most likely numbers to look for would be 1.10 or 1.28, but there could be something slightly different again.

Is this a Power Cab on its own, or a Power Pro system? The version 1.3 you quote would be the Pro Cab (for a Power Pro system) version. If you are using it as a stand alone Power Cab, there should be a second version number displayed after the one you quoted.

The reason for this is that a Power Cab will check to see if it is 'slaved' to a larger system (either a Power Pro or a second Power Cab acting as the 'master' command station). If it detects it is part of the larger system, it goes into Pro Cab mode as that version 1.3. If it doesn't detect another command station, it goes on to show the Power Cab version and takes command itself.

Is this a Power Cab on its own, or a Power Pro system? The version 1.3 you quote would be the Pro Cab (for a Power Pro system) version. If you are using it as a stand alone Power Cab, there should be a second version number displayed after the one you quoted.

The reason for this is that a Power Cab will check to see if it is 'slaved' to a larger system (either a Power Pro or a second Power Cab acting as the 'master' command station). If it detects it is part of the larger system, it goes into Pro Cab mode as that version 1.3. If it doesn't detect another command station, it goes on to show the Power Cab version and takes command itself.

Its a Power Pro system box 5 amp, with pro cab.

On powering up I get NCE Procab V1.3 Cab address = 02. I now use as stand alone unit however 9 months ago it was connected to 5 amp booster because I used the same system for large N Gauge layout using same controller. Reading the manual that above setting is standard has shipped from factory. 

Can you set up the Power Cab as a stand alone system just for the programming track? The Power Cab has a little more oomph for programming than the Power Pro (although NCE tacitly approve of a tweak you can do to the pro system to boost the programming track power as they actually post the method on their website).

If the Power Cab doesn't work, I have successfully reprogrammed recalcitrant decoders by swapping them out of the 'difficult' locomotive into another then reprogramming before swapping back again. I had a Howes sound-fitted Bachmann 4 CEP that refused to be reprogrammed even by a Power Cab. Swapping the decoder into a Hornby class 60 allowed it to be reprogrammed, after which it was swapped back into the CEP. I had a similar issue with a friend's Bachmann class 25, where the decoder had locked itself and refused any reprogramming commands from his Digitrax sytem or my Power Pro, but allowed the Power Cab to perform a reset, after which it behaved perfectly on all of the systems.

Archived