loco adhesion

One of my Hornby "Schools" locos lost one traction tyre recently, it came loose and got tangled in the valve gear! I've seen reference to a sticky/tactile substance can be spread on the wheels to provide better adhesion, which I thought, apparently incorrectly was a de-luxe materials product - anyone know of such a product please?

Thanks

Wellsy

G'day, Wellsy,

I've used Bullfrog Snot on a few models, with mixed success.

1. Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods have some trouble with derailments of their powered tenders. (I have 4 of them.) Replacement traction tyres fitted to the original plastic wheels exacerbated the problem. Bullfrog Snot did work better, but unless perfectly evenly applied, caused much wobbling of the tender. I have refitted one of the models with metal wheels, with one side coated thinly with Bullfrog Snot. This has improved the running, but I still am not satisfied. My best running Dean Goods is the one that is now loco drive, running on a Wills 1854 class chassis.

2. Tri-ang Dean Singles are notoriously weak and prone to wheel spins. I have improved both of mine by fitting extra pickups to their tenders and coating one of each pair of driving wheels with Bullfrog Snot. They each can now haul six to eight Hornby long clerestory coaches - smoothly and quickly.

3. A friend's old H0 Pennsy K4 pacific shed its traction tyres and could not haul a sensible load. I applied Bullfrog Snot as a replacement and it now has returned to its previous haulage power.

The product does work, but requires some practice and patience to apply well.

Regards, 

Rob

Archived