Exactoscale Check Chair

I've been waiting quite a while to see when C&L would re-stock the check chair. I have just checked their website and it seems that they will not be restocking this item. Does anyone have any idea if there is an alternative item being produced or if I will now have to cut ordinary chairs to make half chairs? See below:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_347_348&product_id=3938

Hi Michael,

I was up at C&L today where i manged to pick up a rouge set of these, but I was informed by Pete that they will not be re-stocking, they are in the process of stocking 1mm type, I was told that the drawings have been delayed but are still very much in the pipeline.

He was probably referring to Len Newman. Len created all of the drawings that have recentley been released for sale (track templates). I know Len has had a number of health issues and I really do hope Len is soon to make a recovery as his work is so key to C&L and such a help to many modellers.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience with altering check rail chairs to suit their requirements? If so, is it as simple as chopping the chair in two and adding a small piece to fill the gap in the base of the chair? I just want to know if it is possible to use an altered P4 chair on EM gauge track since the 0.8mm chairs are no longer available. Thanks in advance.

Michael

• RMweb Premium

In the past I've used thin copperclad below the check rail and the running rail then added cosmetic chairs by cutting standard chairs in half.  Can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work with a cut up 0.68mm chair to form the cosmetic chair if the 0.8mm ones aren't available.

C&L should have the 0.68mm in stock as I bought some at the weekend at Stafford show.

Michael

The 0.8mm were not EM gauge and you had to cut one chair off to maintain the gauge. On a 4 chair check rail I would have the 2 central chairs on the check rail and the two outer chairs on the stock rail. On a 5 sleeper check rail I would put the 2 outer and the centre chairs on the check rail and again the other centre chairs on the stock rail. 

In both EM and OOsf gauges you could not see the gaps, but un-like P4 you had to set the check rails with a check rail gauge. I have not used P4 check rail chairs on either EM or OOsf so no idea about if the gaps show.

Do I take it that Peter is no longer going to stock the 0.8 chairs (Len told me they were a mistake anyway)

What you could do if its looks odd is to put a tiny piece of filler on the block chairs when fitting the check rail to fill the gaps

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any experience with altering check rail chairs to suit their requirements? If so, is it as simple as chopping the chair in two and adding a small piece to fill the gap in the base of the chair? I just want to know if it is possible to use an altered P4 chair on EM gauge track since the 0.8mm chairs are no longer available. Thanks in advance.

Michael

I have used the 0.8mm check rail chairs on EM gauge track work and they work very well.If the 1mm chairs come on stream I would use these.I don't see a problem with cutting the chairs

down the middle as this was how I used to make the check rail using standard chairs trimmed to fit. I didn't bother putting a spacer in,too complicated!

Technohand 

Speaking with Peter, if the delay on bring in the 1 mm versions then he is going to order some 0.8 mm ones to bridge the gap.

Using the 0.8 mm ones intact without cutting them may work on EM especially on the longer crossings as it falls within the EM tolerances. I would imagine that it would be too tight for most RTR wheel sets. However for both EM & 00-sf I would set the check rail with a check gauge and keep the gap to the recommend 1 mm by cutting through one chair in each of the check chairs

Archived