Hornby Dublo United Glass wagon

Guest Mikado

Guest Mikado

Hi, I have come across a Hornby United Glass 5 plank wagon which I have placed on a more modern chassis, it looks quite good as for a 60s product the moulding is very  good;

I took to wondering what the load would have been, any ideas?

Mikado 

sounds like a United Dairies milk tank.....

No, the United Dairies wagon is a 6-wheel tanker, United Glass a 4 wheel open wagon, yellow coloured, with UNITED GLASS on the side!

The toolmaking on the Dublo plastic wagons was of a very high standard - crisp and well detailed. Their 'standard' 4-wheel chassis was also the common 17' 6" O.H. which meant most of them were the correct length too. Some wagons, like the Presflo, even had their own custom chassis.

I had one of these in my first Hornby-Dublo trainset, along with an R1 tank, a 12t van and a brake van. It was bright yellow (though mine was painted olive green when I modelled military things, and is now bauxite), and I believe the lettering was originally 'United Glass Bottle Manufacturers Ltd'.

I suspect the prototype wagons were not fitted with side doors; certainly, the ones used for Pilkingtons, carrying glass-sand from Chelford to St Helens, weren't. I can't say I've seen the prototype, but then wagons were rarely photographed.

The 'United Glass' lettering (rather than the common 'United Glass Bottle Manufacturers Ltd' version) is quite rare and collectable, so if in good condition, I'd leave well alone. It's a variation on the Dublo (later Wrenn) BR open wagon, which, while well moulded, is dimensionally inaccurate (too high for a start).

The prototype wagons were I believe, basically R.C.H. mineral wagons on 9' wheelbase underframes, so, in this case, it is also too long (though correct for the BR wagon).

Archived