BR Mk1 Sleeping Coaches

Earl Bathurst

1. Depends - Scottish internal not many at all, ECML/WCML some trains much longer.

2. Yes, but not much on the Southern (possibly Poole for a while and a Dover Motorail I think)

3. Yes, there were no brake sleeper coaches that I'm aware of.

Have a search on the forum for "sleeper formations" - there's quite a lot of info to be had from existing topics.

Did you have a period in mind?

Western, yes.  How many depends on the train  and the date!  The sleeper from Paddington to Milford Haven, for example, was one car amid a load of newspaper vans, whereas the Penzance train had half a dozen or more.

As for the Southern, at one time in the 1960s there was a Stirling to Newhaven car carrier which I seem to recall had sleeping accommodation. I am not aware that the SR's overnight services to the West Country carried sleepers in modern times, or indeed ancient ones.

Every passenger carrying train except DOO ones must have accommodation for the guard. and a brake for him to operate if need be.

Chris

If you are modelling the 1969/70 period, I found this snippet in the August 1970 R.O.

"Sleeping Cars:- Many of the series 2064-2120 (various regions) are undergoing modifications and refitting. Interior lighting and decor are being altered, and the exterior branding changed from 'Sleeping Car' to 'Inter-City Sleeper'. "

• RMweb Gold

In late 1981 or early 1982 I made a business trip to Liverpool from London. That was still possible then by sleeper. I think that there were two Mk1 sleepers (may only have been one), a few seating coaches and then full brakes and vans.

No problem, Scott.  The following were the formations in summer 1961:

11.50 pm Paddington to Penzance: Siphon G, brake second, first, three seconds, brake second and extra second on Fridays only for Penzance, second, first sleeper, second sleeper and brake van for Plymouth, "van" for Bristol.

12.30 am Paddington to Penzance: BG [80708 or 80720], 2 SKs Mondays only, composite sleeper Fridays only, first sleeper and second sleeper (both Sats excepted), brake second and Siphon G to Penzance, 2 Siphons G to Plymouth, GW design BG to Paignton as far as Newton Abbot, GUV to Taunton except on Mondays when it ran through to Newton Abbot.  The sleepers were booked to be MK 1s.

12.35 am Saturdays only [well, Friday night!] Paddington to Penzance: 9 sleeping cars top and tailed by a brake composite.  Al but one of the sleepers were booked to be Mk 1s so presumably the other was a GW one, probably a Hawksworth with 6 wheel bogies. 

12.45 am Paddington to West Wales: Siphon G to Cardiff, Siphon G to Swansea, "large van", brake van and three Siphons G to Carmarthen, composite sleeper and brake second to Milford Haven, two Siphons G and "large brake van" to Cardiff, Siphon G and Fruit D to Newport.  This had been a newspaper and parcels train for years until the WR decided to add the sleeper.  The public timetable described it as a sleeping car train. 

What, you may ask, is the difference between a "van" and a "large van"?  I wish I knew.

HTH

Chris

• RMweb Gold

What, you may ask, is the difference between a "van" and a "large van"?  I wish I knew.

HTH

Chris

So do I Chris as at times both seem to cover bogie vans while in some trains 'van' clearly means a 4 or 6 wheeled vehicle.  I suspect it's a hangover from the past when, once upon a time, there really was a difference.

Archived