Bachmann Ivatt Class 2MT

Icknieldrobin

Can anyone tell me if I dreamt Bachmann have announced a rework of their Ivatt Micky Mouse or has this been announced somewhere as I can't see anything on the Bachmann site.

I'm toying with the idea of either building a new Comet chassis [to EM gauge] for the existing body or perhaps waiting for the upgrade and then converting what would presumably be an improved  chassis [current model still has the split chassis???] and avoiding the additional cost of a scale chassis with the added benefit that a new model might well have an improved body in line with recent models.

Any thoughts, guidance, opinions would be gratefully received, and might put my mind at rest regarding the dreams!!!

Thanks in advance

Doug

Doug, there might have been a split chassis version of this loco (although I don't recall one) but the model issued in 2007 has the newly designed chassis and is a good runner.

That is, I assume you mean this:  http://www.ehattons.com/52596/Bachmann_Branchline_32_828A_Class_2MT_Ivatt_2_6_0_46526_in_BR_lined_green_late_crest_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

John

Having had a think, I have a feeling you mean this:  http://www.ehattons.com/52545/Bachmann_Branchline_31_440_Class_2MT_Ivatt_2_6_2T_41243_in_BR_lined_black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

You will note this is still split chassis.

I had the same dream and surely this must be one of the last models in need of conversion to a decent chassis.  Doesn't look imminent though.

I think, Doug, that you are referring to the 2-6-2T and not the mogul. As John says, the mogul has a modern chassis but Bachmann introduced the 2-6-2T a long time ago, and it has a split chassis.

I, too, seem to recall that Bachmann announced an intention to upgrade it but cannot add anymore than that.

I've also got a recollection that Larry Goddard (Coachman) managed to fit a mechanism from a 2-6-0 under an older 2-6-2T body and documented it on here somewhere.

Snap Arthur, I had the same thought and bought a second 2-6-0 model with the intention of fitting it under my tank body.  It never happened though, as so often happens.  (My original split chassis became U/S after an unfortunate attempt to install a DCC decoder).

John

If you look at the Bachmann website, the pictures there clearly show the Ivatt 2-6-2 tank with a different chassis.  The pony trucks are different, and the previously missing 'slide bar' support bracket or motion bracket (whatever it's called) is there.  

... with the added benefit that a new model might well have an improved body in line with recent models...

Unfortunately, the routine upgrading of the split chassis model's bodies as they were renewed ceased with the Jubilee, because the sales were not strong enough (Bach haven't released the originally announced sloping throatplate versions at all, and are showing no signs of doing so).

The impression I have formed is that renewal of body tooling will only occur once it either wears out or goes unserviceable through damage.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I've clearly had another dream and got them mixed up.

John, Your first link to the 2-6-0 tender 2MT was indeed what I was after so pleased to hear it has a good chassis which makes my decision some what easier. I was aware the 2-6-2 Ivatt tank had the poor chassis so perhaps a Comet chassis should be for that instead. Either way thanks for the steerage.

I'll get back to sleep now after a long day ripping up track for renewal on the GWR.

Doug

Archived