Bagnall meyer at cripple creek

sir douglas

hi,

the other day i was watching a video about railways in the old west (USA), so after that i went online to look at a few of the heritage lines out there and as i was looking on a site for the cripple creek heritage railroad, something rather nice turned up.

they have one of the Bagnall meyers that were built for south africa, and even better they are currently rebuilding it to use on the railway.

http://www.frolin.net/mmgs/ccv/pictures/bagnall/BagnallinCrippleCreek.jpg

It would certainly be something if it could be restored to working order!

There is some confusion over the identity of this loco.  Most sources on the web perpetuate an identity of Bagnall 2831 "NONOTI" of 1945 (despatched July 1945, although dates of 1946 and 1947 are usually quoted).  More reliable sources (perhaps), such as the monumental "Bagnalls of Stafford" (Baker & Civil) and in South Africa (loco lists of sugar railways compiled by Sandstone Estates) tend to give the identity as Bagnall 3015 "SINKWAZI" of 1953.

What is clearer is that three locos (b/ns 2831, 3014 and 3015) were sold by Huletts to Reynolds Brothers in the mid-'sixties, one of which was purchased privately and exported to the USA.

Archived