Southern Pacifics Mazak problem

sandwich station

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a 100% sure but I think Canadian Pacific was made around the same time as the two I mention here.

As R.2171, 'Canadian Pacific' was one of the original three MN releases, along with Clan Line (R.2169) and the first (non-sound) version of Holland-Afrika Line (R.2170).

John

• 1 year later...

However Hornby are always good on returns and defects, look at the problems with the 31s where the loco was replaced, repaired or a voucher for £100 offered up. Some of these items were 8+ years old, I personally think that is pretty good customer service in this day and age.....

• RMweb Gold

Just fitted dcc decoder in dcc ready Merchant Navy for customer guess what mazak rot on bogie snapped in half as front axle is bent up off the track, tried to straight it big mistake now I can't buy spare not even Hornby has one, doh.

Try ebay: petersspares or tracksidecars

I don't think Mazak rot is that new to Hornby - I had a mid-1970s tender drive Britannia Pacific (not Tri-ang Hornby, btw) on which after about 10 years regular use and 10 more of occasional use I noticed the tender body was bulging. The tender weight was swelling with Mazak corrosion. East Kent Models fortunately had a spare, so at Ieast I didn't have to but a complete secondhand loco for a replacement part. The rest of the loco was fine, so maybe as tender weights were out of sight, quality wasn't so important.     

I don't think Mazak rot is that new to Hornby - I had a mid-1970s tender drive Britannia Pacific (not Tri-ang Hornby, btw) on which after about 10 years regular use and 10 more of occasional use I noticed the tender body was bulging. The tender weight was swelling with Mazak corrosion. East Kent Models fortunately had a spare, so at Ieast I didn't have to but a complete secondhand loco for a replacement part. The rest of the loco was fine, so maybe as tender weights were out of sight, quality wasn't so important.     

Or maybe, as it took ten years to appear, there was no way of telling there was anything wrong with it, when it was made....

Archived