Lysaght's Nettleton Mine

nigel gill

i am looking for information to the operation on how they unloaded the rail ore hoppers into the road transport (what was used for this) at Nettleton top mine before they moved it to the railway yard at Holten - le -Moor.

If anyone has a track plan for the mines could i have alook too please.

Nige

• RMweb Gold

As usual with ironstone workings and lines in the area you may find one of Eric Tonks' books useful, in this case "The Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands, Part VIII South Lincolnshire, currently published and sold by Booklaw of Nottingham - they have a website.  By the way I'm just a satisfied customer!

On pages 227 -242 it gives maps, plans, description and photos.

A 2'6" gauge tramway brought the ore from the underground workings to the mouth of the heading from where it was conveyed to the sidings at Holton le Moor by an aerial ropeway just over 2000 yards long.

Tonks states that each aerial ropeway bucket held 12cwt of ore and travelled at 130 yards per minute, it could carry up to 75 tons per hour

At first horses were used underground but later Ruston and Hornsby diesel  locos were used.

In 1957 the aerial ropeway was abolished and replaced by a wide concrete road on which "hefty dumptrucks plied between the tippler and the sidings".  There was a tippler arrangement at the mine end, details are given in the book - but not a photo.

There is obviously a lot more detail in the book, including a photo of the aerial ropeway at Holton le Moor unloading area and the concrete road amongst other bits.

Hope this is some use.

Edit, this is the only photo I have of the sidings at Holton le Moor.

post-5613-0-37507700-1389646150_thumb.jpg

Holton le Moor Class 31 5554 shunting Nettleton mines iron ore sidings April 69 J1585

David

Great stuff, having went to school in Holton le Moor its always been interesting to see what went on there.

I had a look around not long back and noticed theyve removed the narrow gauge line that went around the cricket ground.. or its buried under the grass.

Archived