ROCO SD40

Neil Rogers

Agree - an interesting develpment from Roco.

Somebody mentioned "current European standard" - anybody come across Rocky Rail from Belgium? They have recently introduced a model of the Dutch MAK 6400 class apparently exquisitely detailed and with metal handrails which look to be as fine as the plactic versions we're used to on US models.

With any luck, Roco will follow suit and maybe some of the US manufacturers will take note as well.

Metal over plastic any day!!!

I couldn't work out if the G2000 was their model or the Mehano one, but it looks like it is by B Models. I do love the G2000s, had a half cab Mehano one a while ago, but had to sell it to buy food!

bullet proof glass I didn't know, but it's not uncommon (possibly even an FRA rule) in the US.

Koos

I think Pete was referring to the model photo...

And that feature alone could be a deal-breaker in the North American market.

Adrian

I don't know about deal breaker, I don't live in that market to be able to judge that, I do know that I hate the things, but it hasn't stopped me from buying a loco if it was a model I really liked and was very well executed. 'back in the day' Roco was pretty much the only mass production manufacturer I'd be buying my models from. They were always just a bit better on detail, or capturing the look and feel of a loco correctly, and often cheaper than other more serious competition, but because of the same detailing a bit more delicate to handle too. 

Fleischmann was in places better in their fit and finish (although I hated their motor however smooth it was, always too fast) and usually had better lighting too, but colours were not as accurate (I'm primarily talking about their german models which I was into at the time).

Pretty much all european manufacturers had traction tires, and it was always a pain to get replacements because the hobby shops always ran out of the sizes you'd want, and there was no internet to easily look elsewhere....

Koos

I don't know about deal breaker, I don't live in that market to be able to judge that, I do know that I hate the things, but it hasn't stopped me from buying a loco if it was a model I really liked and was very well executed. 'back in the day' Roco was pretty much the only mass production manufacturer I'd be buying my models from. They were always just a bit better on detail, or capturing the look and feel of a loco correctly, and often cheaper than other more serious competition, but because of the same detailing a bit more delicate to handle too. 

Fleischmann was in places better in their fit and finish (although I hated their motor however smooth it was, always too fast) and usually had better lighting too, but colours were not as accurate (I'm primarily talking about their german models which I was into at the time).

Pretty much all european manufacturers had traction tires, and it was always a pain to get replacements because the hobby shops always ran out of the sizes you'd want, and there was no internet to easily look elsewhere....

Koos

Traction tires are a historical concept on diesels over here, and typically reserved for the old Tyco and equivalent locos that were only powered at one end. I very much doubt that they are going to get good reviews for having traction tires on a high-spec diesel that shouldn't need them. I don't know of any HO modellers who would accept them on a biggish 6-axle diesel (typically they are only on steam locos where it is sometimes a necessary evil).

In N scale, the only recent diesel with traction tires that I have is the Precision Craft E7, and they only used them becaue they had to cut out so much of the frame to add sound that it might not have been able to pull a sensible train without traction tires.

Adrian

I think we should write them a message to ask if they will be offering without them, or can convince them not to employ them: their e-mail is: roco@roco.cc

I'll give it a bash and see what they reply. :-)

Koos

Roco are predicting a release date of September 2015. This will give them ample time to gauge the demand and tailor production runs to suit. Most Roco products are made in Europe, and are therefore not at the mercy of Chinese production constraints.

Roco are predicting a release date of September 2015. This will give them ample time to gauge the demand and tailor production runs to suit. Most Roco products are made in Europe, and are therefore not at the mercy of Chinese production constraints.

September 2015 gives me time to save up for one :-) 

Archived