Hornby Complaints Service

mickey9

Hornby made a big noise in the media about what they saw as their monumentally successful buyout of the Lima-Rivarossi group and Electrotren and how they had transformed the fortunes and products of these makers.I would like to tell you how they handle customer complaints about these products.As far as I was concerned,I assumed that the company was an entity in itself:otherwise,why make the above claims? I model Italian Ho,and over the past two years I purchased three different versions of the Rivarossi 'trifase' FS electric locos,at considerable cost,to stash away till I got round to complete my layout.on finally opening them,I find these otherwise excellent models are spoiled by far too fragile detailing:handrails which are hair-thin plastic,and worst of all,plastic buffers which are only a loose push-fit and which in any case are fouled by the transparent packaging (which itself is a pain to open and makes it easy for the model to fall out),so that these buffers were already rolling about in the box on arrival.I contacted the a Hornby customer services department,setting out these points,and asking if some kind of upgrade was planned in the way of making available more substantial buffers,preferably metal ones like those of some of the competition,with,say,securing nuts,more in keeping with models of this calibre.My complaint was acknowledged and I looked forward to a helpful reply.Two weeks passed,and I received the response:sorry,nothing to do with us,this is Hornby Ltd-make your complaint to the appropriate department of Hornby International.That's it-not even 'we are forwarding your complaint to our subsidiary for comment'-just 'go away and do it yourself.' Disclaiming any connection,in my book.I don't know if I will even bother now-but one thing you can rely on:I shan't be buying any more Hornby products.

As much as I would like to offer words of condolence and comfort regarding the unusually poor service you nave received. I'm unable to do so. I find it much more surprising when one gets good service in this country. A work colleague has just had an experience with a high street retailer that had all of thepeople he was telling the story to at screaming point! I will say that I don't agree with you about the fine detail you complain of but I agree completely with your comments about poor service. I wish I had the answer to this but I don't. Bad show on Hornbys side.

Archived