Dave Bradwell - L1 chassis

Steve Taylor

Well I'm hoping its the Thompson since Ive just acquired a bodyshell. David B-c-p any thoughts on it yet? I've not built one of Mr B's chassis - they have a reputation for thoroughness and sometimes complexity so I'm curious as to what's involved with this chassis.

Well I'm hoping its the Thompson since Ive just acquired a bodyshell. David B-c-p any thoughts on it yet? I've not built one of Mr B's chassis - they have a reputation for thoroughness and sometimes complexity so I'm curious as to what's involved with this chassis.

Dave Bradwell's my favourite designer, so I bought two at Scaleforum. Here are the two etch sheets you get, along with lost-wax castings, Exactoscale axleboxes, assorted wire and comprehensive build notes:

post-4450-0-39096900-1389903288_thumb.jpgpost-4450-0-19044100-1390228458.jpg

As you can see, it is indeed for the Thompson L1, as interpreted by Hornby, and provides EM and P4 frame stretchers - it's reasonable to assume 00 workers will be content with Hornby's mechanism. I'm still waiting to come across a Hornby bodyshell so I can get started - it'll look well tasty with those Exactoscale wheel sets I spent a fortune on!

Chris Pendlenton built the test etch, so we can be sure a thorough evaluation found its way back to Dave. A lot of the design from Dave's successful K1 kit transferred directly to this one courtesy of LNER standardisation.

I understand caring commitments have arisen for Dave, which kept him from personally attending Scaleforum, and could well explain why his web presence is not quite up to date.

The Nim.

Edited to illustrate castings and turnings.

Horse you have been saying that for ages! I have built a number of Dave bradwells kits. The new fold out horn guides are great the Q6 had then and they end up running beautifully!

Will have to consider this on the kit wish list!

Well the bodyshell has arrived, need some detailing stuff and oddly a cab roof (no biggy) and I've now a spare westinghouse pump, so the collecting together the parts for another project starts. How much is DB's chassis? I'm thinking the conventional set of Hi-level axleboxes, guides and gearbox, the largest mashima that will physically fit and a sprinkling of csb. Completion? Err when its ready and some of the other stuff is out of the way so err yes when its ready.

Well the bodyshell has arrived, need some detailing stuff and oddly a cab roof (no biggy) and I've now a spare westinghouse pump, so the collecting together the parts for another project starts. How much is DB's chassis? I'm thinking the conventional set of Hi-level axleboxes, guides and gearbox, the largest mashima that will physically fit and a sprinkling of csb. Completion? Err when its ready and some of the other stuff is out of the way so err yes when its ready.

I've revised Post #5 to show the castings and turnings which were hiding in the folds of the instruction sheets. You won't need other axleboxes, unless you dislike the Exactoscale ones, which Dave bundles with the etches and his own lost-wax castings. My cheque stubs show that I handed over £120 for my pair of kits, but there's no guarantee that costs haven't pushed that up since, of course.

The Nim.

I was surprised as anyone to find the L1 chassis breaking cover at Scaleforum - completely unexpected!

Dave actually had produced the test etch at least a year earlier. At a previous Scaleforum, he told me it was in Chris Pendlenton's possession for test building, but that the build was delayed while Chris was in process of relocating.

The Nim.

Archived