If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello All!

Jack374

Hi Everyone!

I'm a new member on here, but I've been reading everyone's posts etc. for ages. I am interested in ANYTHING to do with railways, and have been modelling/train spotting for about 6/7 years. I'm mainly interested in modern freight workings, but a few older items may sneak in from time to time :) I look forward to now being able to reply to people and comment on everyone's fabulous work on here!

Many Thanks, Jack,

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jack and welcome,

Jack, you need to go out and photograph everything, (on the real railways), that you want to reproduce in model form.

Do it now and do lots of it! After all, storing digital photos today costs virtually nothing.

But don't just photo the locos, the wagons and the line they happen to be on at the time.

Take photos of the background, of odd things at the line side, empty stations, full stations, the queue of people at the bus stop outside the station.

The station front with no cars or people in the way

The station front with lots of cars and people in the way.

etcetera etcetera...

Later, when you've built your dream layout - in say another 50 years time or so - you will look at the scenery and think "that's bare, what does it need to really finish it off?". And then you can go though your own pixel perfect record of what it was like. No poor memory, colour fading, arguments of what it was like then.

But remember you can't go back and other peoples photo records, (although useful), will not be quite right for your particular time period or location or train even!

Go out and "click" like crazy! You will thank me one day.

Kev.

I do most of that nowadays, and I can't (at the mo) see the point of it, but you're right, one day I will, and I'll be the better for it :)

I've acquired quite a collection of line side bits n bobs, and you're right, some of them have already proved useful.

Thanks, Jack. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived