1980s-90s Intercity Livery colours question

GordonC

When the Intercity Swallow livery was introduced to replace the Intercity Executive livery I know some of the colours changed on the locos, but did the coaching stock colours change at all or were they the same?

On the locos the executive light grey (or on HST's the lower front yellow) was replaced with white and the executive dark grey was replaced with Falcon grey.

If the coaches kept the same colours, where was the change from Falcon grey to executive dark grey? I dont remember the HST power cars or DVTs being obviously different colours (at the guards van/coaching stock end) to the coaches behind them.

Thanks,

Gordon

I thought it was the Executive Dark Grey that was browner and Falcon grey slightly darker?

So Falcon grey was used as the dark colour throughout the train whenever the 'INTERCITY' branding was used, thats great thanks!

The thing that was puzzling me was that I dont remember seeing any photos as the later livery was introduced where some coaches in a set had been repainted as 'INTERCITY' and some remained with the earlier 'Intercity' branding. Was the 'INTERCITY' branding ever applied before a full repaint?

On thinking about it, was that around the time when the loco-hauled (air-con) Mark 2's and Mark 3's were being refurbished so they'd have got a full repaint and 'INTERCITY' branding at the same time?

• 2 months later...

So Falcon grey was used as the dark colour throughout the train whenever the 'INTERCITY' branding was used, thats great thanks!

On coaches yes, but many class 86 and 87 locos just had the silver branding applied to the exec dark grey which is why Bernard called it a rule of thumb, there are exceptions to pretty much everything. 

As for the refurbishment I know things like the Mk2f TSOs converted from FOs 6800-6829 did receive a full re-livery and I don't doubt that the ex-Scotrail coaches had the same treatment but the painting schedule for the rest is anyone's guess.

Why did they change the grey?. Mind you I don't understand why they changed to the white lower band on locos either, I though it made the livery look far more disjointed.

The dark grey was changed to Falcon Grey for locos to separate it from the Parcels / RES livery, as they used the same colour

The lower light grey was changed to white in order to make it more like IC125 and IC225 format, and later Mark 3B DVT

Ironically, Falcon Grey was also applied to some locos that also had the lower light grey, although this was corrected on most of those locos eventually

Archived