If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Viewing CVs

Hi

I fully accept my own limitations when it comes to DCC but I have read through the NCE manual and the LocSound manuals but can find no way to view the CV settings for the selected loco.

Can I do this with the hand held controller or do I need to purchase a USB interface for the laptop ?

This has become necessary as I have "lost" the forward/reverse lighting on a LocSound 3.5 decoder and need to check the current value of numerous CVs in an attempt to find out what I have done.

I am finding DCC Sound a bit of a steep learning curve but now that I have my Slaters CR Pug chuffing along in sinc with the wheel rotation it's very enjoyable and the motor control is 100%

regards

Stewart

You need to set up a "programming track" which should be documented in the NCE manual.  That will let you view the CVs with the NCE hand-held controller.

Thank you.

I had not bothered doing that because the layout is so small and has only one loco being used at any time.

I will get the manual out and start reading.

Thanks again.

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I have a section of a siding on my home layout that can be isolated from the rest of the layout through a double pole double pole (or changeover) switch. The output from the NCE PowerCab is fed direct to this section of track. The switch links the siding to the rest of the layout such that it can be used to turn the connection from the siding to the rest of the layout on or off.

When the switch is turned off only the siding is connected to the PowerCab and I can use the siding as the programming track. This saves me from removing all the other stock from the layout.

We use a different process at the club I belong to. There with only two locos DCC fitted we simply remove one or both locos from the layout and then the whole layout becomes a programming track. The latter arrangement could suit you if you can ensure that there will only be the one loco on the layout when you want to read/write CVs.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

I had not bothered doing that because the layout is so small and has only one loco being used at any time.

I will get the manual out and start reading.

Thanks again.

regards

Stewart

If there is no other loco or accessory decoder connected to the PowerCab then it will be no problem.

Press the "prog" button in the bottom left hand corner then number 4, the display should read "PRG TRK"

Select "Y"

You will now have options 1) STD 2)CV 3) (can't remember!)

You can scroll across to see more options, I think it goes to 6.

All you need to do is press number 2 it will ask for the CV number to read/write.

Put the CV number in and press the enter button, it will display "WAIT",  it will then show what the value of that CV number is, just change it to the value you require and press enter to write it to the decoder.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you Ray and Traction for the reply.

I do have a length of track in the fiddle yard which I use with rollers for running in (no room for a continuous loop) so I will wire that as the programming track.

I will clear the layout and have a look at Tractions suggestion over the weekend to see if I can find the "lost" lighting functions.

I did email SW Digital for help a few weeks ago, but they have not bothered to reply yet.

Thanks again for the help, it's very much appreciated.

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Ray and Traction for the reply.

I do have a length of track in the fiddle yard which I use with rollers for running in (no room for a continuous loop) so I will wire that as the programming track.

I will clear the layout and have a look at Tractions suggestion over the weekend to see if I can find the "lost" lighting functions.

I did email SW Digital for help a few weeks ago, but they have not bothered to reply yet.

Thanks again for the help, it's very much appreciated.

regards

Stewart

Stewart

Make sure that your programming track can be connected to your NCE PowerCab completely independently from the rest of the layout. The only way I could find to do this as an after thought was to move the feed from the PowerCab to the section of track I planned to use for programming. Disconnect the direct connections from that section of track to the track power bus and connect the track to the switch and connect the switch to the track power bus. That way I can use the programming track either for what it is meant to be - the end of a siding not normally frequented by motive power - or, by throwing the switch, as the dedicated and completely isolated programming track.

Stewart

Make sure that your programming track can be connected to your NCE PowerCab completely independently from the rest of the layout. The only way I could find to do this as an after thought was to move the feed from the PowerCab to the section of track I planned to use for programming. Disconnect the direct connections from that section of track to the track power bus and connect the track to the switch and connect the switch to the track power bus. That way I can use the programming track either for what it is meant to be - the end of a siding not normally frequented by motive power - or, by throwing the switch, as the dedicated and completely isolated programming track.

Hi Ray

If I remember correctly the power supply/facia board (3A booster) has a dedicated output available for the programming track which I will use.

The layout is wired for DC or DCC via a DP C/O switch on the control panel so adding another for the programming track would not be a problem, if I can still get myself under the layout (and back out again !!)

Thanks again for all the help.

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Stewart.

You're probably right - I'd need to check the manual.

On that basis you could connect your rolling road to the Programming Track outlet on the PowerCab. I didn't have space for a dedicated programming track so wet the way I have otherwise I'd have lost ore than half of a siding.

Archived