RDC sound decoder

Chris Gilbert

Before you buy the Tsunami with a Cummins sound (which is not a bad idea considering many RDC's were re-engined, but I don't know what era you model)...

Have a look at this thread:  http://www.nmrabr.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=109&p=403&hilit=Budd+RDC#p403

There's a few suggestions and videos in there that might give you some ideas ? (Some options with Loksound decoders, or a QSI titan with RDC sound amongst others)

Koos

From memory (& YouTube videos) the engines don't make a lot of noise, it's mainly the bell, horn, & track/wheel sounds (which leads me onto another pet rant- sound decoders might make an acceptable loco sound, but what about the rest of the train and even then the different noise when comparing plain track to that on bridges or buried in the street...).

Dear 298,

"...audible differences between plain track, bridge, and street trackage..."

Completely understand. However, the issue at it's core is that you are expecting the loco to make sound which is inherrently tied to the physical location and related acoustic environment, not the loco (or rollingstock) itself.
(the sound emenating from the "point source" piece of equipment didn't change, the surrounding acoustic environment and your position as the listener in said-environment changed).

Given that chicken-wire, plaster, and sheet plastic sounds and acoustically-acts remarkably like, Um, chicken-wire, plaster, and sheet plastic,
(IE our model "scale environments" don't know they are "scale" and therefore do not automatically react in "scale acoustic" manners),

we can't rely on the sound emenating from a "small moving speaker box" to excite an "uneven table surface with lots of couple-of-few-cubic-inch plastic boxes scattered about" acoustic space, and expect it to sound like "a 120+dB SPL 20Hz - 20kHz locomotive reverberating off the concrete canyons of NYC" (or similar)

Put simply, sound doesn't scale automatically.

However, all is not lost! The aural effects you seek to replicate are entirely possible via scene-appropriate deployment of Layout Sound ;-)
(IE it may not scale automatically, but we can design and deploy it so it appears to... ;-) ).

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

I think the solution to 298's entirely reasonable rant is easier said than done.

For me, and this is entirely a function of repeated experiencing of the sound, the ultimate test of realism in sound reproduction would be a class 104 DMU departing Buxton. Can we reproduce the sound variations as the driver sets off, changes up, shuts off, coasts through a couple of turnouts, and then opens the throttle wide to attack the adverse grade out of the station? What of all the ancillary noise caused by the train moving through the various track configurations?

I am a new convert to DCC and sound, and like what I hear but am aware that the complete aural picture isn't there and may not be possible given all the variables which, as you said, may not scale.

If you are running a Bubb car, all you need is a degree of noise to create the requried hub-bubb, bud.

For Budd cars, I agree with 298, from memory the Budd cars weren't especially noisy themselves, environmental sound was more of a factor. They reminded me a bit of a loud sewing machine. In which case a Cummins (usually referred to as a Hummin' Cummins) might be the way to go.

post-277-0-10508000-1390714845_thumb.jpg

Dear HighPeak,

For me, .... Can we reproduce the sound variations as the driver sets off, changes up, shuts off, coasts through a couple of turnouts, and then opens the throttle wide to attack the adverse grade out of the station? What of all the ancillary noise caused by the train moving through the various track configurations?

In short, certainly yes.

Breaking it down for a moment:

- "driver sets off, changes up, shuts off, coasts ..., and then opens the throttle wide..."

Yes, these are all Engineer/driver input > prime mover aural effects. By tuning the decoder appropriately, and applying a suitable level of momentum/inertia, the sound-and-motion relationship of the model, relative to the throttle/speed-step setting can easily achieve the desired effect, as emenating from the point-source (IE the locomotive).

ancillary noise ... by the train moving through ... various track configurations

These are harder, and indeed difficult to sync to what could be a variable-speed locomotive. However, there are possible solutions.
One is to level the capability of the CAM input to trigger "flange squeal" anytime the Railcar truck swings beyond a given angle.
(IE flange squeal and equivalent travels with the specific loco or car)

Another is to trigger a soundfile (which could be a random choice from a selection of relevant files) to play anytime any rollingstock item passes thru the track arrangement.

(IE sound is layout-based, and location specific).

Whether detected via track detection or visual detection is irrelevant, the important thing is the technology to do this is reasonably cheap and available, right now.

Now, there is a 3rd option, which I've used on rare occasion to great effect. However, it relies on source sounds which are often not what the listener expects in their "mind's ear", and takes a lot more hardware to achieve well. Put simply, it's placing a small mic right at the point in the scene where we want the loco's positional operation to be highlighted. NB that a HO model's "clickety clack" is far from the kind of "ker-thump ker-thump" one might expect from a prototype equivalent unit.

Anywho, we then fire the resulting signal thru a multi-effect processor, programmed to emulate the acoustic environment around the track location we want to emulate. This can include concrete canyons, overpasses, nearby rock faces, distance hills, stands of trees, whatever. the result is then passed thru a set of optimised speakers mounted in the scene, thus presenting a unified visual and aural image for the viewer's eyes/ears to recieve...

Just some thoughts...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Archived