Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

High Level Armstrong Whitworth diesel shunter

Dear all

Sorry I completed the chassis with out posting any progress reports. I was feeling out of sorts with the computer and could not face it after my modelling sessions. It went together according to the instructions and the only problem I had was that I did not trim the rods which made the axles in the gear box enough. this meant that the gear box would not  fit between the compensation beams. I only discovered this once the chassis was completely assembled so I had a difficult time trimming them so they would fit. The loco is now completed and painted. I added a makers plate from narrow planet. I painted the body in halfords satin black. The model runs nicely with a waddle just like the prototype. I am really happy with this loco. it is one of the best kits I have ever built and can only recommend high level kits highly. 

regards

David

post-17982-0-48670600-1416173951.jpg post-17982-0-96243200-1416173957.jpg

post-17982-0-38832100-1416173965.jpg post-17982-0-89277400-1416173972.jpg

Great looking loco - as twright says, fantastic work.

Only just found the thread - for anyone who's thinking of buying one of these kits and is worried about wheels, it's possible to buy converters that fit outside 2mm axles and convert them to 1/8" - I believe they're available from EM gauge society stores and possibly Alan Gibson as well, and that's the way I would go. Hope that helps.

Phil

Dear Phil

Thanks for your comments. you do not need to worry about the axle size. When you buy the kit you can specify for which size axle you want it. I got the gear wheel for 1/8 inch axle so I was able to use alan gibson wheels. Though the chassis etch does need the holes opening out from 2mm to 1/8 inch, it is not much of a problem.

regards

David

Archived